Like Tree33Likes

Dangerous lift in my building

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Dangerous lift in my building

Hi guys,

I've recently moved and I feel the lift in my building could be quite dangerous.

It doesn't move smoothly but jerks and has what I can only describe as mini-plunges. Also, I live on the top floor and the lift machinery makes the most terrible grinding noises when it moves.

Also, the lift doesn't always arrive level with the floor and this morning was almost 10cm higher than the floor level.

I suspect the lift is the original one from when the building was built in the mid-80s.

I'm not sure if it's truly dangerous, or if I/anyone else should care, but the recent serious injuries do give me cause for concern.

Should I/ who should i report this to?

Report to buildings management? If they do nothing then take pictures and report to 1823. There is an app.

TeachHK and gigglinggal like this.

Being rubbish may not mean being dangerous.

https://www.elegislation.gov.hk/hk/c...8403532880_003

Kowloon Goon likes this.

is there a valid inspection certificate on display inside the lift ?

jrkob, jimbo and gigglinggal like this.

I'm not sure how to report it to the building management. I've already spoken the my landlord who says he knows nothing about any lift problems and he wouldn't take it any further. There is an old man on the desk downstairs during the day - but he doesn't speak any English.

There is a certificate on display in the lift that says it's valid until the end of July.

Just getting in the lift tonight, someone pressed the button for one of the floors and it skipped that floor and stopped at a floor where the button wasn't pressed. It then continued to the top floor. The man said 'aiya' in a way that suggests that happens frequently (though maybe I'm reading too much into things).

Original Post Deleted
    I'm on the 26th floor and summer is coming!!!

Perhaps you could use a vibration sensor app on your phone to records the jerkyness of this lift along with the results form 2-3 other lifts and send it to 1823 along with the lift number and ask them if this is OK

Paying a few extra k for a newer building now makes a little more sense :-)

This is why people are sensitive to the building age. Doubt you can do anything about the problem.

1823 app is useful and they will forward complaints to the relevant department but I hadn't made any BD complaints so not sure how their response is. That's the first step on my opinion.

OK, just a quick update and thanks for the replies.

Messaged my landlord who said it had been brought up with building management. Apparently, there's nothing they can do about it (I focussed more on the sound annoyance factor than safety).

Contacted the EMSD through the app on the 18th and haven't heard anything back yet.

Original Post Deleted

I messaged through the 1823 app with all the details and 1823 messaged me back on the morning of the 19th to say that they'd forwarded the complaint onto the EMSD. Haven't heard anything off them, and I guess they off for the weekend. Hopefully, I will hear back from them on Monday.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast