Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nivantj

Rental peak season

Rental peak season

Hi! I've been in a serviced apartment for the past 10 months and lease is coming to an end. Management has raised the rent on me by 6K so I'm considering a regular apartment. Not familiar with the HK rental market, is summer considered peak season and will prices be higher with few options? What is the best time in the year to go apartment hunting in the Central/Soho area?

Quote Originally Posted by Steffi82
    Hi! I've been in a serviced apartment for the past 10 months and lease is coming to an end. Management has raised the rent on me by 6K so I'm considering a regular apartment. Not familiar with the HK rental market, is summer considered peak season and will prices be higher with few options? What is the best time in the year to go apartment hunting in the Central/Soho area?

I would say the best time would be 2004. Otherwise the prices really don't change with the seasons.

i had that thought initially, but actually i realized there isn't a peak season in hk in terms of rental property. anytime, anydate, some new units might just pop up for rental and if you are lucky you can get a good deal... i.e. everything depends on your luck and the flexibility you have over the current contract you have. if you don't have a fixed deadline you need to adhere to, then start looking around and if you find the unit you want, just put a bid on it.

for curiosity, which service apartment is jacking up the price by so much over the last 10mths ? market seems quite saturated with rental offers

I have heard from couple of local agents that mid of the year is relatively peak season for rental market with more parents planning to change location during vacation according to their new school location/district and international parents planning to relocate etc..

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier
    for curiosity, which service apartment is jacking up the price by so much over the last 10mths ? market seems quite saturated with rental offers
    PM'ed you, am still negotiating with management for an extended lease so won't name and shame publicly for the moment!

bdw

Property prices have gone up 15%-20% in the last 12 months (from early 2017 to early 2018), so if your serviced apartment is jacking up the rent by 6k, I'm not sure what that is in % terms but might not be that bad

Centa-City Index

how much are you paying now and for what size