Like Tree14Likes

Where to Live .. (Olympic?)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Where to Live .. (Olympic?)

I want to take a moment to thank so many of you who continue to respond to my query. You have been very helpful and I hope more comments come in. I have learned so much about possibilities and scenario in HK.

another quick related query--from Olympic to KTong, there is no direct MTR route--and since Olympic is nice and has harbor view apartments, I would not mind checking that as well. But is there an easy bus that would take me to Mong Kok from where I can catch the train to MTR.

I am lazy when it comes to commute--like relatively straight, easy hassle free, as much as possible in a huge city such as HK.

Again, warm thanks to everyone who offered constructive suggestions and thoughts. they really help when you are considering a new location versus opinions that can be thoughtless and hence scary...

OP,

I dont understand why you are so keen on Olympic. Most people move there because it is very convenient to get into Central, and dont want to pay more in Kowloon station.

Olympic is a very isolated area surrounded by the old working class Kowloon, rusty and just not nice.

I have worked in Kowloon Tong, and it is green, international and convenient. You could even walk to work, please...

Another thing to throw into the mix would be Tuen Mun... quite a big Indian community around the Gold Coast... with the money you save on rent you could run a car including parking and save some $$s too.

thanks. this is helpful. its just that everyone seems to rave about olympic...but i guess it is good to know that it is isolated.

Sorry, some idiot out there forgot to reopen this thread.

In my opinion, you keep it simple in terms of commuting and find a place near Kowloon Tong if you're ok to spend a little more or stay on the MTR and go to Hung Hom if you want easy access to the island or Sha Tin if you want a bit more space for your money. There's nothing wrong with Olympic but nothing special either. I guess you could also look at the Star street area in Wanchai, it's only a few minutes walk to Admiralty and close to the action on the island. It's a bit expensive but you seem to have the budget.

Quote Originally Posted by bargfeldstegen:
    OP,
    I dont understand why you are so keen on Olympic. Most people move there because it is very convenient to get into Central, and dont want to pay more in Kowloon station.
    People live in Olympic for many reasons, not just because it is a 'cheaper' Kowloon Station. Lots of modern apartment buildings with good facilities, lots of stuff for kids whether indoor (with the new SuperPark opened up) or outdoor with parks like Cherry Street Park or the promenade near One Silver Sea and plenty for adults as well with quite a few bars / restaurants / coffee shops etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bargfeldstegen:
    Olympic is a very isolated area surrounded by the old working class Kowloon, rusty and just not nice.
    Olympic is NOT isolated. There are two MTR stations within easy walking distance and it's easy to get to Central / TST / Mong Kok and to most places in Kowloon. Parts of Tai Kok Tsui (near Olympic) are old, but there are equally nice parts as well.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 3.03.41 pm.png
Views: 1280
Size:  2.13 MB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 3.06.35 pm.png
Views: 1263
Size:  1.95 MB
    Mrs. Jones and GeoTommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by batush:
    I am lazy when it comes to commute--like relatively straight, easy hassle free, as much as possible in a huge city such as HK.
    With 80-90K you can taxi it daily back and forth from Olympic, very very cheap la

If I was you I would live in Kowloon Tong, Parc Oasis or even near the Club House in Kowloon Tong, I have a mate that lives opposite it, 1st floor walk up, pays around 30K ish I think and has a very nice house.

https://goo.gl/maps/Snekrcm8ahB2
    z754103 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese:
    Another thing to throw into the mix would be Tuen Mun... quite a big Indian community around the Gold Coast... with the money you save on rent you could run a car including parking and save some $$s too.
    Awful commute. and parking in KT doesn't come cheap (even when you work at a Uni).
    chingleutsch likes this.

what is the name of the apartment near club house that you mention?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast