Like Tree23Likes

Where to live if commuting to ICC?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

This is very helpful, thank you! Gold Coast looks so tempting but yes, the resident bus is what I couldn't find using the normal transportation apps. Knowing that is doesn't leave until 7:05 is really helpful. Maybe we can try the route on the 962 and see how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    Gold Coast would normally be an option, but the first resident bus (to Olympic) goes at 7:05am. Having said that, the 962 runs regularly early in the morning and would take less than half an hour to reach the West Harbour Crossing Bus stop at that time (from there, you need to walk through Elements into ICC, not sure how long it takes but I doubt less than 5 minutes).

GC has all the other things you were looking for - very family friendly and decent accommodation at a range of sizes for sensible rents depending on where you look.

Further into town, you then need a different bus, the 962B, which runs through Sham Tseng - another good options with a lot of accommodation. The route is slightly slower though so the bus will probably take much the same amount of time as the 962 from the GC (which by-passes Sham Tseng by taking the freeway with a peak-hour bus lane).

All of these are coastal, with good access to beaches and hiking; plenty of supermarkets and restaurants (you normally need to go into town for things like clothes or larger household goods though).
    This is very helpful, thank you! Gold Coast looks so tempting but yes, the resident bus is what I couldn't find using the normal transportation apps. Knowing that is doesn't leave until 7:05 is really helpful. Maybe we can try the route on the 962 and see how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by cetsi
    Tsing Yi would meet most of your requirements, but I don't know about cats in Tierra Verde or Villa Esplanadacheck with an agentand other places in Tsing Yi are less convenient for transport.
    Other than that, the morning commute on the Airport Express would be about 9 minutes. For the commute to TST, you would need just one change on the MTR at Lai King. There is an ESF kindergarten, and the area is popular with families.
    [Edit: Sorry, I just realized that the Airport Express morning service officially starts at 7am. I don't know if it would be possible to use it before then. But in any case, the normal MTR would only take 11 minutes, so not too different.]
    Thanks a bunch, especially for listing the specific buildings that are easier to commute to. Will specifically look into those.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Jones
    You can probably find something that meets your requirements in Olympic, especially the older less luxury estates. Some have shuttle buses running to the mtr. Then theres Tung Chung, you can cut your rent in half and great space and facilities for kids. Commute will be 20 minutes to Kowloon Station, you can walk to the mtr in max fifteen minutes or take a shuttle bus. Kennedy Town there is a direct bus, I believe the 904/905 to ICC should take no more than twenty minutes but higher rents than the dark side obviously.
    Thanks, will keep an eye out for places that align with routes for the 904/905, for some reason maps route don't show all the options for going to ICC/Elements, not sure why. Great insight.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    Harbour green in Olympic
    One silversea in Olympic New estate in Nam Cheong (not ready yet)

Be open to 800-1000 sq ft net. Might work depending on the layout (some have smaller kitchens but rest of the home is similar to a 1000' with large kitchen)
    Thanks! Will add Harbour Green to my shortlist.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    Tung Chung seems like a decent option. You'll get that size for below your budget, and it has an ESF kindergarten and playgroup.

ETA: where are you delivering the baby though? That might affect your choices.
    As others have said, Tung Chung is a good option for ICC due to the MTR and it'll be just over half your budget for what you want. Estate facilities have more space so good pools, tennis, bowling, etc.

Tung Chung Crescent to be on top of the MTR or Caribbean Coast with a shuttle bus to the MTR (Coastal Skyline is out due to a no pet policy). TST is also easy with a change across platforms at Lai King (I do this most days). The Visionary and Century One are other options with a bus ride to the MTR. 0730-0800 you can get the E21X bus direct to TST.

Don't worry about the baby, first one you should have plenty of time to get to the private hospitals (and we did our second from here, just!). Or take one month's saved rent and book a hotel for a few weeks around the due date. Call a taxi though, ambulances will take you to Princess Margaret hospital from here, not a private hospital.

There's an ESF Kindergarten at the Visionary and other English and Chinese kindergartens.
    hybiscus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rani
    How about The Coronation in Yau Ma Tei? Nice building with facilities.

A 1100 sq ft flat is in the $45K range.
    We did look at it when we first came to Hong Kong but it seemed a bit more difficult to get to ICC via public transport. Husband wanted to avoid sweating too much if walking in the middle of summer! Maybe we couldn't figure out a smooth way because of all the construction a few years ago...has it gotten better? Google Maps won't even map a walking route (assuming maybe there is a bridge connection that doesnt show?).

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    Tung Chung seems like a decent option. You'll get that size for below your budget, and it has an ESF kindergarten and playgroup.

ETA: where are you delivering the baby though? That might affect your choices.
    I think I'll have a hard time convincing him to do over an hour's commute from Tung Chung...he's just been too spoiled with walking over to work from Sorrento! Thanks though!

Quote Originally Posted by stickyears
    As others have said, Tung Chung is a good option for ICC due to the MTR and it'll be just over half your budget for what you want. Estate facilities have more space so good pools, tennis, bowling, etc.

Tung Chung Crescent to be on top of the MTR or Caribbean Coast with a shuttle bus to the MTR (Coastal Skyline is out due to a no pet policy). TST is also easy with a change across platforms at Lai King (I do this most days). The Visionary and Century One are other options with a bus ride to the MTR. 0730-0800 you can get the E21X bus direct to TST.

Don't worry about the baby, first one you should have plenty of time to get to the private hospitals (and we did our second from here, just!). Or take one month's saved rent and book a hotel for a few weeks around the due date. Call a taxi though, ambulances will take you to Princess Margaret hospital from here, not a private hospital.

There's an ESF Kindergarten at the Visionary and other English and Chinese kindergartens.
    Oh dang, this is really helpful, hmm, maybe I can lure him to just view some apartments "for fun" and influence him! Thanks for listing specific complexes, will inquired about those specifically! The info about ESF helps, can't believe I have to look into schools before the babys born but I gotta get my ducks in a row!

Quote Originally Posted by hybiscus
    We did look at it when we first came to Hong Kong but it seemed a bit more difficult to get to ICC via public transport. Husband wanted to avoid sweating too much if walking in the middle of summer! Maybe we couldn't figure out a smooth way because of all the construction a few years ago...has it gotten better? Google Maps won't even map a walking route (assuming maybe there is a bridge connection that doesnt show?).
    Don't live there so not 100% sure, but I did see a shuttle bus when visiting.
    hybiscus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hybiscus
    Maybe we can try the route on the 962 and see how it is.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    @HK_Katherine, when I moved to GC area, which was in 2012, taking the 962 early in the morning (say 7am to 8.30am) was a nightmare. As in they would be practically full by the time they reach GC/Aegean Coast bus stop and I would have to wait for anywhere between 2-4 buses before I could get in. And stand.
    Same for the returns in the evening from Central (outside HSBC main building) starting 6pm till 7.30pm. Had to stand most of the time.

This factor weighted quite a bit in my decision to buy a car.

Do you know what the situation is now ?

* EDIT: but leaving later after 8.30am was in general okay. Which is what I ended up doing before getting the car.
    Last edited by jrkob; 10-05-2018 at 06:00 PM.
    hybiscus and TheBrit like this.

There is a free resident shuttle bus to/from The Coronation to the ICC (starts at 0700 and finishes at 2130) and the bus stop for TST buses is a 100m walk (78 and a KMB that I cant remeber the route number). Rents are going up here as well and when the high speed train opens up it will be possible to walk to ICC either undercover via the bus terminus or over the roof so can see the rents going up even further. The Coronation is good, top spec and free swimming pool and gym.

hybiscus likes this.

@TheBrit can comment on public transport timings and feasibility of couch to office seat ETAs from each and every point in Hong Kong.

hybiscus and chingleutsch like this.

How about The Coronation in Yau Ma Tei? Nice building with facilities.

A 1100 sq ft flat is in the $45K range.
    A friend lives there and they have a free shuttle bus to Kowloon station, not sure what time it starts in the morning but guessing early enough to cater to working people.
    hybiscus likes this.

Don't live there so not 100% sure, but I did see a shuttle bus when visiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottydog1980
    There is a free resident shuttle bus to/from The Coronation to the ICC (starts at 0700 and finishes at 2130) and the bus stop for TST buses is a 100m walk (78 and a KMB that I cant remeber the route number). Rents are going up here as well and when the high speed train opens up it will be possible to walk to ICC either undercover via the bus terminus or over the roof so can see the rents going up even further. The Coronation is good, top spec and free swimming pool and gym.
    Yes, there is a shuttle bus but last we checked with the building it didn't start until 7AM, which is too late for him unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by jrkob
    @HK_Katherine, when I moved to GC area, which was in 2012, taking the 962 early in the morning (say 7am to 8.30am) was a nightmare. As in they would be practically full by the time they reach GC/Aegean Coast bus stop and I would have to wait for anywhere between 2-4 buses before I could get in. And stand.
    Same for the returns in the evening from Central (outside HSBC main building) starting 6pm till 7.30pm. Had to stand most of the time.

This factor weighted quite a bit in my decision to buy a car.

Do you know what the situation is now ?

* EDIT: but leaving later after 8.30am was in general okay. Which is what I ended up doing before getting the car.
    This is super helpful, sigh, I think Gold Coast will be out for us then...definitely not getting a car as we were trying to keep costs down! If anyone knows about the traffic or how busy it is to get buses would be great!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast