Like Tree23Likes

Where to live if commuting to ICC?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Really appreciate everyone's helpful and FAST input so far! I'm really surprised so many people are so active on here, I was expecting to wait weeks for these types of replies! Greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by pin
    @TheBrit can comment on public transport timings and feasibility of couch to office seat ETAs from each and every point in Hong Kong.
    I lived in Gold Coast and can confirm the 962 is a complete shithole of a route. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

How's your search for reasonably priced accomodation going by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by jrkob
    @HK_Katherine, when I moved to GC area, which was in 2012, taking the 962 early in the morning (say 7am to 8.30am) was a nightmare. As in they would be practically full by the time they reach GC/Aegean Coast bus stop and I would have to wait for anywhere between 2-4 buses before I could get in. And stand.
    Same for the returns in the evening from Central (outside HSBC main building) starting 6pm till 7.30pm. Had to stand most of the time.

This factor weighted quite a bit in my decision to buy a car.

Do you know what the situation is now ?

* EDIT: but leaving later after 8.30am was in general okay. Which is what I ended up doing before getting the car.
    But the OP wants to be in the office earlier than that, so they are looking at the earlier bus services. I've taken those once or twice and was not full. They have also laid on some extra peak services (for example the 962E is now a dedicated early morning service for So Kwan Wat only). In addition, pretty much every bus coming past goes to the freeway interchange, from where you can also pick up the 962X, 961 and 960 which all stop at ICC.

Coming home I would recommend the resident bus from Olympic for exactly these reasons.
    Last edited by HK_Katherine; 11-05-2018 at 10:50 PM.

PS - for your reference, the shuttle bus schedule

http://www.goldcoastresidences.com.h...schedule.1.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    I lived in Gold Coast and can confirm the 962 is a complete shithole of a route. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

How's your search for reasonably priced accomodation going by the way?
    Of course he doesn't tell you that was about 10 years ago and all the buses have changed completely since then. The resident bus now goes to Olympic rather than Wan Chai (which is much better for you) and the public buses have changed out of all recognition since the freeway interchange was built. You can now get to just about anywhere in HK from the freeway interchange (including another 3 buses which go to the West Harbour Crossing Toll Plaza, i.e. right next to ICC) direct on the freeway.

You could live somewhere unfashionable and drive to work every day.

https://www.28hse.com/en/rent-proper...utm_source=map

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    But the OP wants to be in the office earlier than that, so they are looking at the earlier bus services. I've taken those once or twice and was not full. They have also laid on some extra peak services (for example the 962E is now a dedicated early morning service for So Kwan Wat only). Coming home I would recommend the resident bus from Olympic for exactly these reasons.
    Thanks for the reply, I was looking forward for it, appreciate it.
    I know you are very... "enthousiastic" about living this area. And so am I, love it here.
    It's just over the years I have found your views about the accessibility of the area to be a little bit on the aggressive side.
    Yes I know you don't have a car, and yes it can be done. I agree.
    But it requires a bit of... structuring.

@TheBrit, I wouldn't call the 962 a "shithole" route. I think it is at around certain hours. Personally I use the 962 all the time and it's perfectly okay. Yes yes of course, outside the peak hours which the OP will need to travel at. Just to mention it.

@hybiscus, if I may, perhaps you ask your husband to try the route a few times at the time that he wants and see if this is within what he can do.

Personally I plan to relocate closer to the GC plaza once the daughter is out of the house. Love it there. If I'm not mistaken, Aegean Coast has "unofficial" shuttle buses.
    HK_Katherine and Mat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    The resident bus now goes to Olympic
    Ok. But the OP in her initial post said she wanted direct transport to ICC. Not Olympic.
    The Interchange is a great addition but it also means... a change.
    I believe ?

(I am just reading the OP's requirements)

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    You could live somewhere unfashionable and drive to work every day.

https://www.28hse.com/en/rent-proper...utm_source=map
    The cost of the car would probably slap $10k to the budget, might as well use the $10k on rent somewhere closer. After reading the OPs post, Olympic is probably favorite.
    Last edited by ray98; 11-05-2018 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ray98
    The cost of the car would probably slap $10k to the budget, might as well use the $10k on rent somewhere closer. However, I can get to Central within 45-50 mins on the MTR, in the rush hour, just not sure if that works for the OPs needs.
    At 6:30 in the morning a pleasant 20 min journey to ICC from a large swathe of HK. But yes a higher rent and public transport is probably better

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast