Like Tree23Likes

Where to live if commuting to ICC?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    At 6:30 in the morning a pleasant 20 min journey to ICC from a large swathe of HK. But yes a higher rent and public transport is probably better
    Well taxi would be around $150 (I think but definitely less than $200) and 20 mins from Heng On going through Eagles Nest tunnel - times 22 working days a month would be about $3.3k. Coming back the 981P bus would be around 25 mins and $9.80 fare but the last bus at the Western tunnel is 7:00 pm. School is easy, ESF kindy at Wu Kai Sha and Renaissance College is at Heng On. Delivery could be at Union (congrats by the way!)
    Last edited by ray98; 12-05-2018 at 12:25 AM.
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jrkob

@TheBrit, I wouldn't call the 962 a "shithole" route. I think it is at around certain hours. Personally I use the 962 all the time and it's perfectly okay. Yes yes of course, outside the peak hours which the OP will need to travel at. Just to mention it.
    Have you tried getting on at ICC and going to Gold Coast after work? It's just about tolerable from Central where you can skip a bus and get a seat if you want. Good luck with doing that from ICC. It's a horrible interchange too, hot, polluted noisy and eight, ten (?) lanes of tunnel traffic. Not a nice place to wait.
    East_coast likes this.

Olympic is the obvious solution. Choose an estate directly connected to the MTR. Central Park / Park Avenue / Florient Rise / Hermitage. No need for shuttle buses. They are all an easy indoor air-conditioned walk to Olympic MTR station with Florient Rise being the closest (less than 5 minutes walk). Around 1000 sq ft is possible with your 45K budget if you do your research carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Have you tried getting on at ICC and going to Gold Coast after work? It's just about tolerable from Central where you can skip a bus and get a seat if you want. Good luck with doing that from ICC. It's a horrible interchange too, hot, polluted noisy and eight, ten (?) lanes of tunnel traffic. Not a nice place to wait.
    No but I have no difficulty believing you since as I said in post #15 I myself wasn't getting a seat in Central already so I'm sure as hell wouldn't have gotten one in ICC either with all the people squeezing in Exchange Square and Shun Tak !
    TheBrit likes this.

Before we had a car we tried it a couple of times - to visit Chili n Spice at Gold Coast, now sadly shut. Getting to work early on the 962 wouldn't be so bad, but I wouldn't fancy going home on that route every day from ICC.

Olympic is the really obvious move. The only thing you lose over Kowloon station is slightly worse access to the Airport Express, and that's a small price to pay for saving 5-10k a month in rent.

z754103 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jrkob
    Ok. But the OP in her initial post said she wanted direct transport to ICC. Not Olympic.
    The Interchange is a great addition but it also means... a change.
    I believe ?

(I am just reading the OP's requirements)
    Yes indeed, just giving options. We all know life in HK is a compromise! I personally find a shuttle bus to be a much superior form of transport than an MTR for example - just because its guaranteed seating and usually quiet, because the same people are on the same bus every day so you get some form of self-policing of behaviour!

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf
    Olympic is the obvious solution. Choose an estate directly connected to the MTR. Central Park / Park Avenue / Florient Rise / Hermitage. No need for shuttle buses. They are all an easy indoor air-conditioned walk to Olympic MTR station with Florient Rise being the closest (less than 5 minutes walk). Around 1000 sq ft is possible with your 45K budget if you do your research carefully.
    You can add Island Harbourview into that list - not an air-conditioned walk but it's a short walk and it's covered so the rain won't get you wet.
    There are other estates right by there which are farther, but those are all walk-to-the-MTR close.

I do find that getting from there to TST is annoying, though you can take the minibus (78, I think?). You can also do an airconditioned walk through Olympic 3 that puts you pretty close to Mong Kok MTR. It's not fast but it's pleasant enough.

Thanks for all the input, we will definitely try the commute but it sounds like having a car makes things so much easier...maybe we'll need to research the real cost of a car in HK. Then I suppose it opens up a lot of other locations as well. We will be checking out Olympic apartments this week, so fingers crossed...might have to bite the bullet and take the new rent cost and do more research until next year!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4