Like Tree14Likes

terminate tenancy agreement - poor electrical work & PITA landlord

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

maybe your landlord has other commitments which he has to pay with your rent. When you pay late, he cannot pay them and it causes him stress. Anyone who goes and visits the bank on the DAY of a payment, and then chases you the next day, and goes back and forth to the bank REALLY CARES ABOUT THE TIMING.

You clearly think it's not much of an issue. What you think is irrelevant. You are not going to get any cooperation from a landlord who is angry with you.

Personally, I would just move out. You've worked yourself up into a tizzy now about this flat and I suspect nothing that happens will be good enough, its always going to be tainted by the last few months experience. Do more due diligence next time, get the day set at one you can actually manage. (Although if you can afford to give him one months deposit, you can afford to pay the next month's rent before you get paid, and then use your pay for the one after and so on.. so I have little sympathy for your payment plight).

MandM! and spode like this.

Use that extra month's deposit as a buffer to pay your landlord early - you don't have to give it to him.

$10K extra in your account. Pay that on the 2nd last day of the month.
    1-15th when you have cash, pay yourself the rent and repeat.

MandM! and spode like this.

He probably has to make his mortgage payment. Or maybe the rent money is used to fund something else. I don't get why you don't pay on time!

I have customers who pay me late every month and it's annoying as anything. I plan one day to sit down and check deposits and make my bills. While I don't need that money, by not being paid, it occupies my mental space and I have to remember to keep checking and then chase the person after a week. Annoying as F.

Pay on time, pay early in fact. Don't mess with people to hold on to your money for an extra few days.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomebody2:
    when he called the first time, I reminded him that I thought it was to my understanding that 1-7 is OK as discussed at the realty, then he just goes on about the rent, plz deposit now !! hangs up..
    I think that means it's ok every now and then, not every month. Think of paying rent like a mortgage payment, being even one day late is going to be a can of unnecessary worms for you to deal with. It's a contractual term, what you signed up for. If a LL doesn't chase you up on rent, it's a courtesy, not an entitlement, and if he does chase you up on late payment, then it's totally fair and within his rights.

Anyway, the relationship has turned toxic - better discuss amicable exit and let every one (including yourself) live happy ever after.

Moving is a big stressor, and your wife is pregnant. I would auto-pay your LL on the first and that settles that. Re-wiring your power box to suffice your extra electrical needs runs about $2K, so try to split it with your LL. Garbage outside your door: try to work things out via the management office or directly with your neighbor.

rental is not paid in arrears. shouldn't it be prepaid ?

All my tenancy agreements were pre-paid. Rent due on the 1st day od each billing period. This has been the case in every country I've rented in.

Typically, one pays the monthly rent on the first for the right to live in the flat for that month, so it could be construed as pre-payment. If you pay late you are freeloading for the days of no payment.

I never said I was right, was asking nicely and he'll just go off on the phone. I don't give a flying F... if you are the landlord or CEO with a stick up your arse, you don't need to be RUDE. I understand some tenant's are a**wipes but was it really necessary to call after the first month of signing agreement and talk like you are a collection agent ? (Jan 2)

ANyways, issue has been resolved. After a long talk with the realty, she speaks in some chinese dialect that I don't understand. turns out he misunderstood everything I said over the phone. He interpreted "I'll give you another month's deposit if you will just push back the rent due date" as "take a month off the deposit and push back the rent due date".

he misinterpreted the electrical wiring problem as I don't like where the electrical sockets are and thought I was crazy.

He also apologized for his attitude problem to me and told me there has been some family problems recently, and apologized to the missus for any stress caused seeing she's pregnant and huge, I apologized also.

He is now happy to take my month deposit and allow me to pay between the 1st and last day of the month,

He asked me to look for a licensed electrician and have it fixed to my liking giving him the amount it'll cost and take it off next month's rent.

THe garbage issue we talked to the building maintenance together but I don't think anything can be done as food and health environmental services has a case open for 2 yrs or so

At the end of it all, it was all just a big misunderstanding and we are both very happy and shook on it and even laughed

Original Post Deleted
    I meant for example I move in on 25th and ask landlord to to make due date/ rent cycle 7th instead of 1st, prorate the days + 1st month rent + 2 months deposit and that's what I'l pay,

uh now... anyone knows of a licensed electrician to give me a quote and come help me figure out how to fix this so I don't set the house on fire ?
    Last edited by justsomebody2; 15-05-2018 at 09:43 PM.
    gigglinggal and MABinPengChau like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast