Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 2 Post By z754103
  • 1 Post By Elegiaque

2 months in HK - HKU in 30 mins

Closed Thread

2 months in HK - HKU in 30 mins

Hi,

I'm going to spend two months in Hong Kong with the family. I've been looking for a place to stay for a while and it would be great if you had good recommendations.

Requirements:
    2 bed rooms or a large living room & 1 bed room
    Budget: ~25k-35k per month
    Commute: ~30 mins to the University of HK

Gym and pool would be great as well.

One option is the horizon hotels e.g. harbour view (Harbourview Horizon Suites (Hunghom) | Horizon Hotels & Suites Limited) but I'm not sure how long it takes to the university from there.

many thanks!

@saj222 - To be clear, HKU campus and which part of the campus? The campus is spread out and if you're in the med school, then the commute is a fair bit more.

The main campus has its own MTR station and is accessible easily.

z754103 likes this.

shri - the law school so yes, the HKU MTR station.

You may want to look at Bishop Lei International House - they have some Duplex Suites which might suit.

There are other serviced apartment around.

Little has large rooms. Try AirBnB too - they appear to have quite a number of 2 bed apartments in the vicinity for around 1000 a night.

Check on Airbnb. There are a few pokfulam properties listed. Was able to find one for a friend last summer.

You might also want to look at options in Kennedy Town.

The Henry, Skyla and S-Residence come to mind. There are a couple of hotel / suite type options but might not be suitable for kids.

Would also seriously look at AirBnB - might get lucky depending on your schedule.

Hung Hom (namely, where the Horizon hotels are located) is more than 30 mins to HKU.

See if Domus U has any availability. Bang opposite HKU main campus. People who've lived there liked it.
    https://www.okay.com/en/building/domus-u/1741

Also check out both sets of Mcdonnell Rd serviced apartments - Garden View hotel is cheaper and slightly more basic (although totally fine - plenty of HNWI/local professionals stay there when their homes get redecorated). 2 McDonnell Road has a higher end touch, and designed to appeal to corporate/finance sector types.

I've looked at both, and personally prefer Garden View - its slightly more spacious and has better storage. One large sitting room and large bedroom (by HK standards only!). Only one bathroom though, and entered through bedroom. Onsite pool and gym - again, perfectly adequate if somewhat small.

I assume you've already checked out Robert Black College? Nothing suitable for families?
    https://www.rblack.hku.hk/introduction/index.html

shri and HK_Katherine like this.

It's a little hard to understand without seeing it, but the HKU MTR station is like a magical place that turns a very vertical, three dimension space into a flat, two dimensional space. Basically between the sea and HKU campus the land quickly goes up very steep, but the MTR station has a network of tunnels and lifts that make it possible to go between these areas without climbing or transportation. If you zoom in closely with google maps you can take a look at where all the exits are to this station and any place around any exit will mean relatively easy foot access directly to HKU. Kennedy Town, Shek Tong Tsui, Sai Ying Pun would all be nice places for a two month period here. If you're just at KT or SYP MTR station, again, it's very quick to hop on for one stop to HKU station.

We once stayed in a Domus serviced apartment and liked it (then again, it was the first time ever that we stayed in a place with daily cleaning!). CHI Residence is not too far from HKU (and there should be some buses around the area that could bring you up the hill in no time), but I think the price might be quite high.

shri likes this.