Like Tree43Likes

Are there any big one bedrooms in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What you are looking for is pretty unusual. My solution to finding that flats are small, with pathetically small bedrooms, absolutely awful bathrooms and terrible kitchens was to move onto a boat. But even that solution is now not available because of the Government stuffing up the main marinas here (DB marina may have to close because of a lease issue, crazy, and Gold Coast has no free berths and cancelled debenture transfers).

Your best bet for larger rooms with decent kitchens is actually an older place. The older the building, the bigger the rooms. They tend to have fewer facilities like gym and pool though. (For that, live near one of the clubs that provides these facilities).

But what you probably really want is an illegal commercial building conversion. Which brings its own issues.

You are going to need to do a fair bit of legwork when you arrive, speak to a lot of agents, be very clear about what you want and keep looking. Expat owners do convert places (knock down walls between silly sized bedrooms and put in decent kitchens), so they do exist, but you need to look hard. Good luck.

MandM! likes this.

No one is offended. I live in a place with all of what you describe but its new. I think the housing stock on the UWS and UES is very old having lived in both places in the past. The BRs are small though. I'm in a 3BR and the whole apartment IMO can fit into the family room of my house in the States.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    To be fair, a lot of 800 square foot flats in Hong Kong don't have bathtubs (or have bathtubs that Westerners would laugh/cry at), and ovens are certainly rare.
    Yeah I just rented an apt that comes with a 5ft bathtub . My old apt <400ft had oven, it was rare and I loved it

note to OP: our new 600 ft apt criteria was that it fits a king size bed. So yes, you can get small apt that fits your bed, but maybe not in the way you expect i.e. bed having to be stuck next to window ledge etc
    jgl likes this.

If you are looking for something around 800 with a large master bedroom, my agent told me Belcher's master bedroom are pretty large, you should take a look at them.

Here's a link with the layout. check out the other blocks layout
    Centadata - The Belcher's

Although many places will fit your requirement, end of the day you need to look at the apt and get your gut feel. Some people don't mind a creepy corridor as long as the apartment is nicely renovated, some prefer nice entrance etc etc. My friend bought 3 units of run down walk up flats and turned it into a nice unit. So can't really tell you what area/building you should be looking at. Consider distance from work etc and other commuting times.

HK_Katherine likes this.

I live in a 2 bedroom 500-sq.ft. walk-up and we have a king bed. The second bedroom is a long rectangle so we use it as an office/workspace with desks along one wall. The entire place feels big and airy due to the layout.

Of course, it's a 50 year-old building, and we had some water dripping through the kitchen ceiling during the recent rains, and I know we'll eventually have to move out. I often wonder out loud to my spouse what we're going to do with our king bed at that time.

what you're looking for doesn't exist. I also moved here form NYC and was keen to find a place w 4 stoves + oven as I used to love to throw dinner parties. I've given up on cooking since moving here as not only can I not find a place with a decent kitchen setup in my price range, I also simply don't have room to host guests.

If you're used to the New York lifestyle and the food, art, music, culture, space, and civility that come with it then I would strongly reconsider moving here.

Last edited by tf19; 29-05-2018 at 01:33 PM.
    vyral_143 likes this.

OP - you will find plenty of these types of flat (aside from the oven shit) in the Soho/Sai Ying Pun/Sheung Wan area and to a lesser extend, Happy Valley/Tai Hang.Lots of 1 bedroom flat in older building, totally renovated (and pretty nice usually) - only drawback usually is the lak of lift, most likely stairs (3/4/5 floors).Come here on a one month service apartment, and go visit the places listed above with an agent. Be very clear about the size/budget and requirement and it will be fine.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Regarding ovens- even for flats with built-in ovens, the ovens may be much smaller than what you are used to...I have a built-in oven for the first time (UK landlord remodeled the flat) and it is small- really about the same size as those that sit on a counter/microwave cart. So if you find what you like but sans oven, just buy an oven at an appliance store. Not the perfect solution but better to get the bedroom size you need than the oven.

Also, regarding multiple bedrooms- many (most?) HK flats do not have built-in closets and your BR may not be big enough for a king-sized bed plus a wardrobe. This is where even a tiny second bedroom comes in handy as it can be outfitted as a closet (my second bedroom just has clothes racks and a chest of drawers, I didn't do anything fancy). It also holds things like my vacuum cleaner, shopping carts, luggage, etc. as the kitchen does not have a closet either for storing things like vacuums, irons, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    OP - you will find plenty of these types of flat (aside from the oven shit) in the Soho/Sai Ying Pun/Sheung Wan area and to a lesser extend, Happy Valley/Tai Hang.Lots of 1 bedroom flat in older building, totally renovated (and pretty nice usually) - only drawback usually is the lak of lift, most likely stairs (3/4/5 floors).Come here on a one month service apartment, and go visit the places listed above with an agent. Be very clear about the size/budget and requirement and it will be fine.
    Missing the point that he wants a newer building with a green view and facilities if possible.

In my experience an 800 sq ft 1 bed in such a building is extremely unusual in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Missing the point that he wants a newer building with a green view and facilities if possible.

In my experience an 800 sq ft 1 bed in such a building is extremely unusual in HK.
    Happy valley is pretty green. I think we all already highlighted that big rooms and new are not aligned. But new vs newly refurbished (and thus "new feeling" inside) is up to the OP.