Like Tree43Likes

Are there any big one bedrooms in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Missing the point that he wants a newer building with a green view and facilities if possible.In my experience an 800 sq ft 1 bed in such a building is extremely unusual in HK.
    Green view totally doable.Facilites harder but if you are in HV for example..the track or some great gyms are just right there...

They exist, but are very rare. I live in one, 900sqf 1 BR (was remodeled by the [western] landlord from a 3BR). It’s in Sai Ying Pun where there are a few of them in older buildings. When I moved flats one year ago it was the only one on the market at the time along the Island line! You’ll need luck (and a higher budget).
    As someone else said, moving to HK you might want to readjust your expectations downwards when it comes to your living environment.

merchantms and HK_Katherine like this.

Get a regular apartment. Sleep on the living room, and use the bedroom as walk-in closet.

Apartments in our building can easily fit a california super king sized bed, large enough kitchens for gas ranges with 4 burners and a built in oven + washing machine and dryer in the kitchen. 1530 with 95% efficiency resulting in 1320 sq feet. Price range is about 55K.

I think the smaller units 1100ish should also be able to fit a king sized bed - these range around 35-40K.

Take a look at Baguio Villas in Pok Fu Lam.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    What is your budget? Pointless asking for features, without saying how much you're willing to spend.
    in his OP he mentioned 30-35 K stretching it to 40k

Edit: @shri, lol, see you found it already

@Edwardstorm - fixed my post.

> Budget-wise prob ~30-35k, stretching to 40k max.

Doable, but it's going to involve a bit more looking around. Maybe not with built in clubhouse facilities though.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Apartments in our building can easily fit a california super king sized bed, large enough kitchens for gas ranges with 4 burners and a built in oven + washing machine and dryer in the kitchen. 1530 with 95% efficiency resulting in 1320 sq feet. Price range is about 55K.

I think the smaller units 1100ish should also be able to fit a king sized bed - these range around 35-40K.

Take a look at Baguio Villas in Pok Fu Lam.
    Baguio 2 beds are a great size around 950 sq ft. It has outdoor facilities (pool, tennis) but no clubhouse. If you’re cool being in a more residential area.

There are definitely a few converted apartments (mostly walk-ups) in Sheung Wan, Sai Ying Pun and Kennedy Town. Some may be huge one bed with large modern bathroom and even have rooftop. Will struggle with pool and facilities though.

Only place I know that has full facilities designed with larger bedrooms and decent square footage is Larvotto in Ap Lei Chau, But you're **** out of luck on budget.

Watch out for the windows too...

https://www.squarefoot.com.hk/proper...otto/23192014/

Thanks everyone I'm keeping all these on a list for when we speak to the agents. We'll probably bring the king bed and just deal with going with an older building. I was mostly worried about the cleanliness, have lived in a few old pre-war buildings in NY and had to deal with roaches, elevators breaking down frequently, lack of good water pressure etc.

The other stuff isn't crucial. We only use our current oven maybe twice a year. We'll probably buy a portable cooktop to get the 4 stovetop. I will have a gym at work, pool would be nice but again not essential. Would rather have more space and an easy commute.

I'm basing the 40k max budget on a worst case scenario assuming my spouse can't find work and just on base salary not including bonus. My after-tax monthly income based on current salary would be 70k which is why I budgeted 35k. Including bonus would bring the after tax monthly to 100k but who knows the markets can tank tomorrow. If my spouse can find work fast in a comparable position that would bring our best case scenario after tax monthly income to 140k which would allow me to almost double my budget. So I do have room to stretch if it makes a huge difference, I just like being conservative. And all this assuming I am unsuccessful in negotiating a housing allowance from my company.