Like Tree43Likes

Are there any big one bedrooms in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Worth mention a couple of things regarding beds.

The US uses a different sizing standard to the rest of the world. Not a big deal, probably just means you'll have to bring sheets from the US.

Secondly, once it's out here you are stuck with it- you can't sell it and you (probably) can't give it away for free. I've tried, and I know others who have tried.

Just thought of a third thing. Walk ups or older buildings with small elevators, you might have real problems getting a bed upstairs. The frame had better disassemble, you might have to fold the mattress in half for elevators.

Last edited by jgl; 29-05-2018 at 10:58 PM.
    z754103 and BCD like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    "Would like some western things like a bathtub, 4 stovetops, oven, amenities like gym/pool but not crucial. "

Are you serious? HK is not a third world place. The amenities in a newer HK bulding blow away anything you would find in your typical UWS or UES apt.

Lol the best or even the average of NYC blows away Hong Kong. Hong Kong is great when coming from a lot of other countries or cities but when compared to New York City or London, Hong Kong is much closer to a third world country then being on a similar level.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripsearching:
    Lol the best or even the average of NYC blows away Hong Kong. Hong Kong is great when coming from a lot of other countries or cities but when compared to New York City or London, Hong Kong is much closer to a third world country then being on a similar level.
    That opinion might be valid to yourself based on your own experience. Have you lived in a newer luxury building in HK before? Where's your "crib" now?

Have you lived in a newer luxury building in HK before?
    Sadly, the newer luxury buildings seem to have a lower build quality than the older buildings. We considered upgrading our flat and looked at several developments - thinner walls, less efficiency and just did not feel "rock solid" or finished properly by the developer or the previous owner - tiny little things that make you go "not worth the 15-20M" we'd have to spend. This was about 8 years ago... and not going to bother looking again or trying to prove a point to you.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    That opinion might be valid to yourself based on your own experience. Have you lived in a newer luxury building in HK before? Where's your "crib" now?
    I've lived in new builds in London and HK and HK is worse. Poorer quality building materials which mean lots of noise and stuff breaking regularly. And the new builds in London had facilities like gym, BBQ etc as well.
    TheBrit and z754103 like this.

All of this for a bed?

Andy SNK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    All of this for a bed?
    What do they say about beds? You spend a third of your life in them.
    shri likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Yup - best choice we made was moving from the luxury new build to an older building in HK. We don’t have a sauna anymore but the flat is much higher quality and I’m not woken up by my neighbor sneezing.

And...to the OP...we have a king bed again
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    What do they say about beds? You spend a third of your life in them.
    And can be bought anywhere around the world. Would never decide my flat based on a bed.I'd pick the flat I like than get the bed that fits but maybe that's just me :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    And can be bought anywhere around the world. Would never decide my flat based on a bed.I'd pick the flat I like than get the bed that fits but maybe that's just me :-)
    It's very hard to get American Kings in Hong Kong (different mattress standards, as I mentioned earlier).

Secondly, high quality king sized mattresses are exorbitantly expensive out here. So much that years ago I looked at shipping one internationally rather than buying locally.

The OP has quite clearly stated the reasons he wants a big bedroom, and it doesn't appear to be solely tied to a piece of furniture. It's that he doesn't need lots of tiny closet sized rooms which is the norm in HK. <-- I have seriously seen walk in closets larger than some HK bedrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Yup - best choice we made was moving from the luxury new build to an older building in HK. We don’t have a sauna anymore but the flat is much higher quality and I’m not woken up by my neighbor sneezing.
    Why worry about a sauna when you can just walk out onto the street?
    Last edited by jgl; 30-05-2018 at 04:11 PM.
    shri, TheBrit and HK_Katherine like this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4