Like Tree43Likes

Are there any big one bedrooms in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Are there any big one bedrooms in HK?

Hi,

We're moving to HK in Sept and I would really like to bring our king size bed with us. We're in NYC in a 800 sqft one-bedroom right now. The issue is when I look at HK apartments in the 800 sqft range everything is either 2 or 3 bedrooms (sometimes w/ 2 bathrooms + a maid's room) which leads me to think there's probably no space for a king bed even in the master bedroom. We're a young couple w/ no kids and really have no use for 2 or 3 bedrooms, or 2 bathrooms, or a maid's room, but also can't see ourselves squishing into a 400-500 sqft one-bedroom.

I'm also confused with the use of gross vs. saleable sqft- what is the difference?

Location-wise I want to be <30 min commute to Central. Ideally in a newer building with a view of either greenery or ocean. Would like some western things like a bathtub, 4 stovetops, oven, amenities like gym/pool but not crucial. Budget-wise prob ~30-35k, stretching to 40k max.

I understand it's not that useful to look online now, and we'll find the best deals once on the ground in HK, but just want to understand what is possible as we plan what to bring vs. not bring with us.

Thanks in advance for your help.

They are very difficult to find honestly. They are usually apartments that have been modified by the owner so you will only know they are available by going and looking around. In general the newer and more amenities, the smaller the flats.

Here is one : https://www.facebook.com/michaleeb/p...56275444892707

The answer is yes - they are around, in older buildings.

Last edited by HowardCoombs; 29-05-2018 at 10:53 AM.

"Would like some western things like a bathtub, 4 stovetops, oven, amenities like gym/pool but not crucial. "

Are you serious? HK is not a third world place. The amenities in a newer HK bulding blow away anything you would find in your typical UWS or UES apt.

madoju and MandM! like this.

To be fair, a lot of 800 square foot flats in Hong Kong don't have bathtubs (or have bathtubs that Westerners would laugh/cry at), and ovens are certainly rare.

Wow that's almost exactly the type of place I'm looking for - but a bit smaller, cheaper, and available later. Good to know they exist. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmocha:
    Hi,

I'm also confused with the use of gross vs. saleable sqft- what is the difference?

Location-wise I want to be <30 min commute to Central. Ideally in a newer building with a view of either greenery or ocean. Would like some western things like a bathtub, 4 stovetops, oven, amenities like gym/pool but not crucial. Budget-wise prob ~30-35k, stretching to 40k max.
    The 'gross' area is completely BS and should be ignored.

Saleable floor area property rule perplexes public | South China Morning Post

I'm not sure why you're so offended- based on what I've seen online at least (which admitted might be limited compared to what's truly available), a lot of places only have standing showers instead of bathtubs, almost everything I've seen only has 2 stovetops instead of 4, I've read HK kitchens usually has the washer/drier thing instead of ovens, and wanting a gym/pool was more a constraint of my budget rather than not believing HK has them period.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    "Would like some western things like a bathtub, 4 stovetops, oven, amenities like gym/pool but not crucial. "

Are you serious? HK is not a third world place. The amenities in a newer HK bulding blow away anything you would find in your typical UWS or UES apt.

Our last three flats, all around 1,250 sq ft, had derisively small bathtubs. In our current place we ripped it out and put in a decent sized shower.

We have never had four stovetops, two gas rings being the norm, often in pretty expensive homes.

Oven-never.

Gym/pools /parking often available, of course you pay in the service charge.

@mmocha, lots of the regular posters on Geoexpat love arguing, and a very small but remarkably vocal subset posters get remarkably touchy/defensive about perceived slights against Chinese culture or society. Don't sweat it.

Last edited by jgl; 29-05-2018 at 10:52 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast