Like Tree14Likes

Where in Hong Kong would my German Shepherd be happy living?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by London2012:
    Thank you. That is really useful. Which area do you live? Did you give your dog any sedatives or anything that helped him stay calm. Our dog is very sensitive and I am not sure how he will cope with a 12 hour caged journey. Does anyone check on these animals during the flight?
    You are not allowed to give the dog any sedatives / calming medication because of the risk of suppressing breathing etc. Our dog was 2 when we shipped him, and, as most setters are, still in the crazy 'you did what' stage (tbh he is still like that even at 10 ). We drove to London from Yorkshire, and spent hours in a park near Heathrow, to work off as much excess energy as possible. . He howled as soon as he was put in the crate. We did our best to calm him but his howls were heard long after they took him away in his crate. He was healthy and young, and his tail started wagging the moment he set eyes on my husband at the other end. But what a smell! I don't think the dogs are checked after they are loaded. They are unloaded and you collect them from a separate cargo terminal, where AFCD have a base. There are some formalities to go through but it's pretty straightforward. We live in Tseung Kwan O (Sai Kung District), in a village.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    I think their biggest problem is that neither of them have a job secured in Hong Kong......I'd be more worried about their visa status unless they have RTL/ROA/PR

Also there aren't many landlords who will rent to tenants that cant show proof of employment.
    Yeah, well that is a whole other can of worms, for which I am sure there will be many posters rubbing their hands with glee and tapping furiously. I went with assuming the OP has loads of dosh and ROA in order to directly answer the dog questions.
    London2012 likes this.

The aim is to make his move as stress free as possible. I rather him not travel and find someone to look after him. Budget is 30k. I agree you rather it be empty than trashy.

Need to know your budget that you are willing to spend on rent. Without any work lined up, you are going to burn through cash.

London2012 likes this.

Yep. That sounds pretty much HK. You burn more cash than calories in a minute.

z754103 likes this.

Just wanted to check the situation with medical insurance for dogs in HK. Did you arrange one beforehand or when you got there? How expensive are vets in HK and do you still have to pay excess under medical insurance. Which one would you recommend?

Just wanted to check the situation with medical insurance for dogs in HK. Did you arrange one beforehand or when you got there? How expensive are vets in HK and do you still have to pay excess under medical insurance. Which one would you recommend?
    It has never seemed worth it to me, and fortunately our dog has been healthy and we have saved a lot of money by not having it. I think Blue Cross and FWD are the only companies that offer it here.

Typically we spend HKD $3000 a year for vaccinations and a blood test (required by kennels because of his age). This wouldn't be covered by insurance anyway.

He had an operation last year for a cyst under general anaesthetic, total cost was $5k including medication and after care.

From memory they wanted to charge us more for insurance because of his breed and being a large dog, plus cover only until 8 years old.

Thank you for your reply. The costs seem reasonably similar to what we pay here so that's good to know. Our dog turns 8 in a few weeks and he is a large breed, so we may have the same issue with insurance. What about your personal medical insurance, is that something necessary or you pay as and when necessary.

What about your personal medical insurance, is that something necessary or you pay as and when necessary.
    We are all covered through my husband's company, as he is at director level it is comprehensive & international and we don't find a need for any top up. Our experience is at large multi-nationals which all provide medical cover, lower grades get lesser cover and may require top-up insurance.

Public medical facilities are good and free if you are resident ( minor charges for access at public hospitals $50 - 180), you pay for GPs unless you go to a govt clinic.