Like Tree26Likes

Serviced apartment or airbnb

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Airbnb is more of a risk although you can experience a more local way of living. Depends on your risk appetite when traveling.

Catsy18 likes this.

Would recommend a minimum of one month in a serviced apartment. There are many in Hong Kong, which means it’s possible to find one that will allow a cat.

I’ve had an Airbnb host cancel an agreed price and term last minute. The host also gave the lamest excuse ever. Will not be using this platform again due to the last minute surprise I had last time.

Catsy18 and SalseroHK like this.

I'm moving to HK in 3 weeks with cats and there's no pet friendly serviced apartments that will accept anything less than a month. My company is paying for the temp accommodation and the real estate firm they hired (Dwellworks) told me there's only 6 serviced apartments in all of HK (not just HK island) that will accept pets, and all require a 1 month minimum. The 2 pet friendly ones in HK island are Chi 120 and Citadines Harborview, both in Sai Ying Pun and ~1000 sqft for 40k a month. I'm not sure what the other 4 are.

If you don't want to do the full month then airbnb is the only option. I use them a lot when going on vacation and the customer service is not bad when you have an issue (at least in the US). Some listings/pictures will be deceptive tho so I never book anything without tons of solid reviews. There is a filter for pet friendly on the airbnb platform, but I emailed hosts who do not check that flag and sometimes they are willing to make exceptions by explaining you only have a cat (as opposed to a dog which can do more damage), are willing to pay a pet deposit in case of damage, etc.

MABinPengChau, shri and Catsy18 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mmocha:
    I'm moving to HK in 3 weeks with cats and there's no pet friendly serviced apartments that will accept anything less than a month. My company is paying for the temp accommodation and the real estate firm they hired (Dwellworks) told me there's only 6 serviced apartments in all of HK (not just HK island) that will accept pets, and all require a 1 month minimum. The 2 pet friendly ones in HK island are Chi 120 and Citadines Harborview, both in Sai Ying Pun and ~1000 sqft for 40k a month. I'm not sure what the other 4 are.

If you don't want to do the full month then airbnb is the only option. I use them a lot when going on vacation and the customer service is not bad when you have an issue (at least in the US). Some listings/pictures will be deceptive tho so I never book anything without tons of solid reviews. There is a filter for pet friendly on the airbnb platform, but I emailed hosts who do not check that flag and sometimes they are willing to make exceptions by explaining you only have a cat (as opposed to a dog which can do more damage), are willing to pay a pet deposit in case of damage, etc.
    I think your agents are pulling your leg. Pretty sure there are more than 6 serviced apartments in Hong Kong. Be careful with AirBnB in HK. It' can be a good option, just be aware it's kind of illegal too.

Quote Originally Posted by mmocha:

About two months ago I needed to get a pet-friendly serviced apartment because of a plumbing emergency.

I did a fairly extensive search and only found two that could take in pets on HK Island – one was Chi Residences (which we eventually used) but the other I checked was S Residences in Kennedy Town. At the time my call to Citadines suggested they didn’t take pets, but it might have been just that their pet-friendly apartment was fully booked.

S Residences was a lot cheaper than Chi-Residences and more open to short-term lettings. It is a walk-up and the rooms were quite dark and musty. But it was cheaper.
    Chi Residences can get a lot of traffic noise from the Connaught Road highway, but has some pretty nice views.

One of the other serviced apartments was in either the Mandarin Oriental of the Landmark. I didn't bother checking those out.
    Catsy18, MABinPengChau and shri like this.

A colleague of mine visits HK once a year and always stays at an AirBnB in discovery bay, he's never had any problems.

I also echo the recommendation of Chi residences for pet-friendly service apartments. I personally think I would use the whole month to find a decent apartment rather than rush it in a couple of weeks (especially with a pet).

MABinPengChau and Catsy18 like this.

Is there any way you can leave your kitties in your home country and for them to join you later? I'm not sure when you are moving, but some airlines don't even take pets at this time of the year because of the risk of leaving them in the heat. It might also be less stressful for them if you only need to move them once rather than twice.

Two to three weeks is also quite tight for finding an apartment. Unless you are sure where you want to live, ideally you would want a few days to check out a few areas you are interested in, get an agent to line up viewings in your preferred location, then a few days to negotiate rent and a few more to get the contract drawn up and signed by both parties. It's do-able, but only if you have a reasonable budget for your requirements/willing to compromise/strike lucky, and it might be stressful for you if nothing suitable comes up very early in your viewings. Also, if you are shipping furniture, depending on where you are relocating from, that typically takes 3 to 6 weeks.

Last edited by Scousebanana; 06-08-2018 at 05:28 PM.
    Catsy18 and HK_Katherine like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2