Like Tree65Likes

Accidental Landlord in New Territories

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Hm, you could be on to something there. Google comes up with some requirement on having detectors and sprinklers installed for open kitchens. I seriously doubt that many people bother with sprinklers in residential environments.
    There is another thread here about gas vs electrical range requirements if you have open kitchens - and the possibility that insurance might get picky about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Tango:
    NT is for the insane hardcore , but not the typical XP.
    I wonder, what is a typical expat? What defines an expat anyway? For me it's a person that is send from overseas to work in a Hong Kong branch. Any person locally employed isn't an expat.

So if you look for a 'pure' (not poor) expat, then, mmh, not sure, there are still some international companies in Shatin, Fotan, Taipo. Kwai Chung, Tsuen Wan isn't too far away either.
    Wu Tango likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    I wonder, what is a typical expat? What defines an expat anyway? For me it's a person that is send from overseas to work in a Hong Kong branch. Any person locally employed isn't an expat.

So if you look for a 'pure' (not poor) expat, then, mmh, not sure, there are still some international companies in Shatin, Fotan, Taipo. Kwai Chung, Tsuen Wan isn't too far away either.
    I think your definition of an expat is too narrow. But you are right, most expats do not belong to a club and live on The Peak.

My favourite definition is "constantly complaining rude git with an ego the size of Asia".
    Wu Tango, rs4 and juanalias like this.

I can tell you @Wu Tango no matter how nice you make your own home to get good, high-paying tenants, what you probably can't do is fix the poor village mentality and aesthetics. Doing things like vandalizing people's property because they parked in the wrong place, or harassing people because they need to be taught a lesson about who runs the village. I know expats who have difficulties with not just being an "outsider" but also a "foreigner" pushed to stay low and know their place, while indigenous villagers flout the law and endanger the lives of everyone (e.g. by illegal parking blocking emergency services). Then there is dumping......

If you really wanted to make your place appealing for outsiders, then maybe you can talk with the village head (probably a relative of yours?) and clean up the village and attitude towards foreigners. You may very well have a high turnover of tenants if there are rampant issues (which of course, there may not be at all in your particular village).

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    It's not about face. it's about hard earn $.I live in the NT. Obviously if my salary was x10, I'd live on the Peak.
    It's all about $$$ in HK

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I can tell you @Wu Tango no matter how nice you make your own home to get good, high-paying tenants, what you probably can't do is fix the poor village mentality and aesthetics. Doing things like vandalizing people's property because they parked in the wrong place, or harassing people because they need to be taught a lesson about who runs the village. I know expats who have difficulties with not just being an "outsider" but also a "foreigner" pushed to stay low and know their place, while indigenous villagers flout the law and endanger the lives of everyone (e.g. by illegal parking blocking emergency services). Then there is dumping......

If you really wanted to make your place appealing for outsiders, then maybe you can talk with the village head (probably a relative of yours?) and clean up the village and attitude towards foreigners. You may very well have a high turnover of tenants if there are rampant issues (which of course, there may not be at all in your particular village).
    I'm learning a lot. I've not lived here properly, but I can imagine all this goes on, its a very tribal place. I married a western wife so know how small minded people are in villages. I've managed to change a few minds though - well actually a whole village. Aesthetics wise.. Old villages have organically grown, lost it's traditional pitched slate roof houses, replaced with 3 level angular 'villas' - so some parts are still run down, with open water run-offs around here still. Its not that we don't want covered drains , its just not high priority on Gov lists. The dumping is a real hate of mine, and all communities , normally done from outside / fly tipping is a real issue globally as more expensive now to comercailly get rid of waste. My UK home is SW London, it happens there too. But I guess easy for fly-tippers to head to small HK village. Funny I'm currently re-reading Brave New World - You need to read or re-read it, you'll know when you get to the chapter that reminds me of your condition... In the most politest of observations.
    drumbrake and rs4 like this.

juanalias looking at your recent posts your are certainly the Troll of this space. I congratulate you. Regular one line negative passive aggressive comments. Quite 'Trumpian' and on trend. Try writing more than 2 lines or even 150 words. Or are you afraid or distrust the human species will be take your words out of context..? Have faith my child.

if you want to target expat market, consider targeting teachers, there are a few international kindergarten and primary schools which often have a few overseas westerners (who are not interested in lkf and don't want to live in a shoebox), also consider overseas chinese who come to hk to work, some of them don't mind living in New territories, after all, it's only 21 minutes from yuen long station to east tst by train and that fact owning a car and driving in new territories is also possible as parking will be cheap in the village.

jgl, Wu Tango and HK_Katherine like this.

it's also noted that Yuen long has a lot of decent places to eat and more importantly, most of them open until 2am, there are many advantages and disadvantages living in Yuen long compare to the city, depends on what's your lifestyle

Wu Tango likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    if you want to target expat market, consider targeting teachers, there are a few international kindergarten and primary schools which often have a few overseas westerners (who are not interested in lkf and don't want to live in a shoebox), also consider overseas chinese who come to hk to work, some of them don't mind living in New territories, after all, it's only 21 minutes from yuen long station to east tst by train and that fact owning a car and driving in new territories is also possible as parking will be cheap in the village.
    Hey @imparanoic - really good perspective. Lots of potentail with westernised HK'ers, eg. people returning from study in the west and know the village life style.(warts'n'all) I guess my initail assumption about exPat vs locals might have been too binary. Yes car in NT is a thing, and there is a parking place included. Cheers

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast