Like Tree38Likes

Landlord becomes crazy because of slow bank transfer

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Angry Landlord becomes crazy because of slow bank transfer

Hi everyone, I really need some advises to deal with this situation.

Two weeks ago I signed a lease contract to rent a flat for 17500HKD / month.

I made an initial deposit of 5000HKD in cash.

I had to pay a classic 2 month security deposit (35000HKD) and the rest of the first month rent (12500HKD) before 15th of August.

On the 9th of August, I made an international transfer from France to Hong Kong.

Today we are the 16th of August, and the landlord still didn't receive the money on his bank account. I called the bank, and they confirmed me that the money was still moving, and the landlord didn't receive anything.

I even got a receipt for the transfer, prooving that the money was send. I forwaded it to the agency

I never spoke to the landlord, I just speak with the agency that presented me the flat and that I signed the contract with.

Agency told me that if tomorrow the landlord doesn't have the money, he can break the contract and i'll lose my initial deposit (5000HKD) and i'll have to pay 17500HKD to the agency to compensate agreed damage.

I don't understand why I'm held responsible for the bank delay, and also why I'll have to pay so much he the landlord decide to breaks the contract.

I guess i'll never see my money again nor the keys of the flat.

Is this even legal ?

Last edited by Tokishiro; 16-08-2018 at 11:24 PM. Reason: add info

Welcome to Hong Kong!

I suggest you get cash and settle it now so you don't get screwed. It's your responsibility to pay and on-time. Any breach is a breach on your behalf and you would also have to pay the agency fee.

JAherbert and spode like this.

don't blame the bank, it is your responsibility to pay , and as @mandm said the agency will collect their fee

spode likes this.

landlords are generally not professional, just member of the public, if you cant pay the deposit and one month in advance on time, the landlord may think maybe all rent payments will be late, therefore would be happy to keep the deposit, and escape the lease to avoid the hassle of chasing late payments.

MandM! likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    I suggest you get cash and settle it now so you don't get screwed. It's your responsibility to pay and on-time. Any breach is a breach on your behalf and you would also have to pay the agency fee.
    The thing is i don't have enough money to pay in cash. I sent everything by transfer

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    landlords are generally not professional, just member of the public, if you cant pay the deposit and one month in advance on time, the landlord may think maybe all rent payments will be late, therefore would be happy to keep the deposit, and escape the lease to avoid the hassle of chasing late payments.
    Landlord had proof from the bank that the transfer was made. He received all the notification from my bank that a payment was pending.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokishiro:
    Landlord had proof from the bank that the transfer was made. He received all the notification from my bank that a payment was pending.
    I understand, in Hong Kong, cash in the bank counts, nothing else.
    jrkob, MandM! and rs4 like this.

Hong Kong is the only place in the world that I have been asked for next months payment two days after I moved in.

Money is EVERYTHING here. People are always being swindled and are aggressively managing their cash flows against their debts. Your landlord probably fantasizes about you missing rent every second of the day.

JAherbert, TheBrit and MerMer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond:
    Money is EVERYTHING here. People are always being swindled and are aggressively managing their cash flows against their debts. Your landlord probably fantasizes about you missing rent every second of the day.
    don't forget the agent salivating over the prospect of more fees
    DimSumBond likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast