Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By Scousebanana

Accommodation suggestions

Closed Thread

Accommodation suggestions

Hello and thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Late 30s western couple, professionals, working in central, no kids. Into going out but also authentic experiences (not LKF junkies).

Seekign large 1BR or 2BRs with smallish 2nd BR, no more than 30 mins from central. No car so walking distance to neighborhood feel. >900sqft net. Budget can stretch to 70K for something cool.

But, looking for one or more of the following: outdoor space, large balcony, sea view (bonus points for this one).

Ideally a special space such as loft, etc. not too fussed if there is no pool or gym.

Needle in a haystack? Seems most places are either smallish white boxes in the sky or 3 BRs in the size or <600sqft if 1BRs.

Thanks all!

With that budget - you can set yourself up in a premium serviced apartment (Four Seasons / Pacific Place etc) and explore for yourself. Just saying..

Someone we know has a 1000 sq ft (2 decent + 1 small bedroom - usable area is around 800 sq ft) in Mid Levels for around $38K/month, you'll find plenty of options within your budget.

You're going to be looking for individual units that have been renovated by owners, because it's not typical for 1-2 bed flats in HK to be 900+ sq ft. I've seen a few buildings that do have these, but they're in residential areas that don't meet your criteria for walkable to cool neighborhoods. For example in Pokfulam, Stanley, Tai Tam, Stubbs Road there are a few big blocks where the 2 beds are standard size 900-1000 sq ft.

So what I mean to say is - these flats definitely exist but they're not on the floor plans of the buildings, it will completely depend on if there is something currently available like that.

Since everyone's defintion of 'cool' varies, I would second you taking a serviced apartment for a couple of months to give yourself time to decide where you want to live. I would also suggest finding a good agent - for your budget, you should be able to get a decent one who should be able to find you some places based on your criteria.

We stayed in a serviced apartment when we first came out (not least as we had to wait 6 weeks for our furniture to catch up with us). We spent a weekend and a couple of afternoons visiting our shortlist of areas, narrowed it down to 2 (neither of which were the location we originally thought we would end up in) and then gave the criteria to 2 agents. We spent Saturday morning visiting 6 apartments in one location with one agent and another 8 apartments with the second agent in the other and found 2 places we really liked, which we visited again in the evening to see how the commute was, eventually moving into one of them.

For a larger room size, you are probably looking at older buildings. Consider Sheung Wan, Sai Ying Pun and Wanchai, which are all very easy by public transport and taxi to Central and where you should also have a good chance of a sea view/outside space.

JAherbert likes this.

As mentioned, you would likely need someone that has remodeled to get what you are looking for... I had a friend who had a nice 4 bedroom and about 2400sq ft with sea views around Pok Fu Lam for around 50-60K. With that kind of budget, I'm sure you'll find something to your taste

Taikoo Place serviced apartments?

TAIKOO PLACE APARTMENTS

Nice and good area to live.

Funnily enough, we stayed at Taikoo Place apartments. We had a 2 bed with a sea view and it was very nice. I seem to remember that this cost more than OP budget, but they had one bed and studios too.

We found the area pretty dead at the weekends, so not sure it would meet the OP criteria for the neighbourhood feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Scousebanana:
    Funnily enough, we stayed at Taikoo Place apartments. We had a 2 bed with a sea view and it was very nice. I seem to remember that this cost more than OP budget, but they had one bed and studios too.

We found the area pretty dead at the weekends, so not sure it would meet the OP criteria for the neighbourhood feel.
    Hmm, maybe you got the expat package? Or did you stay there very short-term? I seem to remember being told approx. 50k for a two bed by management before moving to the area.