Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Worst Part of Finding HK Apartment?

Angry Worst Part of Finding HK Apartment?

Wondering if many expats have shared my experience of finding an apartment in HK being a process of dealing with a bunch of different sources, wasting time on bait-and-switch listings, and dealing with agencies which care more about squeezing every penny from their agents rather than providing a needed service to the customer.

In your experience, what is the worst part of finding an apartment in Hong Kong?

the rent, next.

The soul crushing disappointment of visiting apartments you thought were potentials until you realise how cramped, small, badly laid out, poorly built, unrenovated or moldy they are in reality.

Rinse and repeat until you give up finding someone decent.

The process is pretty terrible. I think the trick is to figure out yourself which buildings and what apartments in the building you are interested in. Then just stay on the look-out until one comes on the market. Then try to negotiate best you can. If you get the feeling the landlord is really hard on you, wait for the next one, not worth it to have a shitty landlord. That's about it I think..

TheBrit and Edwardstorm like this.

The only better way I think, is if you have a lot of contacts in HK and you can take over a contract at sub-market levels, with a landlord who already has a track-record of being great with the tenant. Thats what people with many years under the belt in HK does I think..

- Expensive rent
    - Size
    - outdoor swimming pools that close for 6 months of the year (yes first world problem)
    - random rooms in clubhouses that am not sure anyone will ever use or want to use
    - very over the top and grandiose furnishings in common areas only to find out that the apartment itself is tiny!
    - agent fees (for not doing much)
    - weird landlord requirements (most recent one, I won't rent to x profession)

TheBrit, z754103, jgl and 1 others like this.

Realizing the value for money is horrible even compared to other large cities including NYC (i.e., used to pay $2,500 USD monthly rent for a 600 sq ft penthouse luxury elevator apartment with doormen, full gym, pool, in the middle of Midtown West directly above the AC and 123 lines)

Quote Originally Posted by tf19
    Realizing the value for money is horrible even compared to other large cities including NYC (i.e., used to pay $2,500 USD monthly rent for a 600 sq ft penthouse luxury elevator apartment with doormen, full gym, pool, in the middle of Midtown West directly above the AC and 123 lines)
    Dare I ask, what was your tax rate in NYC?
    orel100x likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin
    Dare I ask, what was your tax rate in NYC?
    higher than HK but my salary was also much higher so overall take-home is roughly the same. Factoring in higher cost of living in HK my discretionary spending budget is much lower than in the US.

but hey, new experiences and such.
    TheBrit, Skyhook, shri and 1 others like this.

The Worst Part of Finding HK Apartment -

is finding one in your budget and realizing its a closet.
    z754103, hullexile, MerMer and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast