Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree22Likes

Landlord is IGNORING me with only 3 days until lease expiry.

You can get the agreement stamped yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland
    Could be worse. My new landlord refused to have the agreement stamped so I cannot get rent reimbursements and also refusing to do any work. I’m not demanding but I would say a sliding patio door where there is a gap between frame and glass needs repair! I tried fixing it myself but I’m no Bob the Builder.

The landlord is clearly not paying tax but I can’t go through the upheaval and cost of having to move again.
    The liability to get a leased stamped also lies with you. You're living illegally and if you need to stamp it later there will be penalties. It is also a choice on your behalf, you could have stamped the agreement yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    The liability to get a leased stamped also lies with you. You're living illegally and if you need to stamp it later there will be penalties. It is also a choice on your behalf, you could have stamped the agreement yourself.
    Yes I now realise that. The moment I do it I suspect they will go after the landlord. Now call me a wimp but a Gweilo living alone in HK with a local landlord. I cannot see a positive outcome

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    There have been judgements which indicate that you're not living illegally. A contract is valid without stamping, as the stamp duty can be paid at any time with a small penalty.

Worth a read: https://legalref.judiciary.hk/lrs/co...page=T?noembed
    MandM! and gigglinggal like this.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Yes I now realise that. The moment I do it I suspect they will go after the landlord. Now call me a wimp but a Gweilo living alone in HK with a local landlord. I cannot see a positive outcome
    It's up to you, as long as you trust the landlord. The stamp protects your interest in the property (as a tenant) and your security deposit, well I'm not even sure about that. I guess you can always stamp it late as @shri says paying the penalty.

Stamp duty does not protect your interest. The contract does.

TheBrit and gigglinggal like this.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Could be worse. My new landlord refused to have the agreement stamped so I cannot get rent reimbursements and also refusing to do any work. I’m not demanding but I would say a sliding patio door where there is a gap between frame and glass needs repair! I tried fixing it myself but I’m no Bob the Builder.

The landlord is clearly not paying tax but I can’t go through the upheaval and cost of having to move again.
    Post a pic - plenty of handy types here.

Quote Originally Posted by juanalias
    Post a pic - plenty of handy types here.
    I even tried to follow YouTube instructions. I just need to get a local handyman.

So here’s my question. I don’t mind paying the stamping penalty as I would recover more than that in tax breaks. My assumption is that this would find its way through the system and the tax authorities would be very keen to then speak to the landlord. Any experts in this area?

So here’s my question. I don’t mind paying the stamping penalty as I would recover more than that in tax breaks
    Be aware though that typically HR departments require you to provide stamped lease as well as proof of payment. Have you talked to HR as to the type of proof they find acceptable?. Our institution for instance requires monthly receipts signed by the landlord which yours may not be willing to do if he dodges tax.
    TheBrit and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardstorm
    Be aware though that typically HR departments require you to provide stamped lease as well as proof of payment. Have you talked to HR as to the type of proof they find acceptable?. Our institution for instance requires monthly receipts signed by the landlord which yours may not be willing to do if he dodges tax.
    Already done that. I was on RR with previous tenancy. No stamped agreement no RR!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4