Like Tree22Likes

Landlord is IGNORING me with only 3 days until lease expiry.

Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    17

    Angry Landlord is IGNORING me with only 3 days until lease expiry.

    TLDR:
    - lease is expiring on OCT 27th
    - landlord promised to give me answer, (to renew or not) but is now ignoring me
    - no renewal agreement in my contract
    - what can I do??

    2018 OCT 21 (Sunday)
    Morning - I call the landlord's personal(?) agent. I kindly remind him the lease is expiring in 6 days and asked what he wanted to do. I told him my preference was to stay but if the rent increases too much I cannot afford and will find another place. He is friendly and told me not to worry as he will still give us 1 month notice to find a new place. He acknowledged that I was a good tenant, no trouble, pay rent on time, etc. He promised to reach out to the 'actual landlord' and give us an answer before the end of day.

    2018 OCT 22 (Monday)
    Afternoon - I whatsapp him asking if there was any update related to our discussion. He read my message and ignored. Evening - I called him after work around 7pm and did not pick up

    2018 OCT 23 (Tuesday)
    Today - should I message him? call him?
    I really would like to know asap so that I can plan/find another place before December. Can any give any advice on what actions I can take? Ideally I would like to stay at the same place and have a new agreement made.

    Last edited by curiouscorgi; 23-10-2018 at 11:11 AM. Reason: formatting

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Island East
    Posts
    4,404

    you can still live in the same apartment and pay the same rent without a contract as its not your fault that a new one was not given or agreed to, even if the LL tells you to move immediately, you can ignore him as he will have to go through the courts to get you removed and that takes at least 3 months so dont worry even if you didnt pay rent you can squat there for a few months

    curiouscorgi likes this.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    17

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007
    you can still live in the same apartment and pay the same rent without a contract as its not your fault that a new one was not given or agreed to, even if the LL tells you to move immediately, you can ignore him as he will have to go through the courts to get you removed and that takes at least 3 months so dont worry even if you didnt pay rent you can squat there for a few months
    Thanks for your reply chuckster007! So I should pay the rent on Saturday (using the normal rate) and stay there until a new agreement is given to me? I would really just want to sort this out as best as I can to avoid unnecessary drama. I also have paid 2 months deposit which I do want back if he's not going to renew...

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Up north
    Posts
    272

    Yes, my contract lapsed without renewal so I just continued paying at the agreed rate until they noticed. You are not in breech.

    chuckster007 likes this.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,330

    What can you do?

    Technically you're supposed to move out if your lease has ended. You are now on a month to month and your new agreement is not stamped so it's illegal.

    It could work but it's less protections for you. Maybe your landlord wants to sell without a tenant which is easier to do. Prices are high now and could be dropping. Never know.

    If your rent goes up, it's fair. Likely the landlord would raise to market rate or a little less. Don't cause drama. If you move, that also costs you a lot of time and headache, agents fee, moving costs, furniture's not fitting, etc.

    So yes like the other poster said, to kick you out takes time. But that also adds stress and headache to go to court and deal with the process. If the landlord is not responsive and you're worried about rental increase then you should find a new place and leave on your lease expiry. That would be the correct way to do it.


  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    21,279
    Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    What can you do?

    Technically you're supposed to move out if your lease has ended. You are now on a month to month and your new agreement is not stamped so it's illegal.

    It could work but it's less protections for you. Maybe your landlord wants to sell without a tenant which is easier to do. Prices are high now and could be dropping. Never know.

    If your rent goes up, it's fair. Likely the landlord would raise to market rate or a little less. Don't cause drama. If you move, that also costs you a lot of time and headache, agents fee, moving costs, furniture's not fitting, etc.

    So yes like the other poster said, to kick you out takes time. But that also adds stress and headache to go to court and deal with the process. If the landlord is not responsive and you're worried about rental increase then you should find a new place and leave on your lease expiry. That would be the correct way to do it.
    The correct way to do it would be for the landlord to discuss it. I guess if the landlod does nor respond then the tenant should forget about the deposit?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,330
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    The correct way to do it would be for the landlord to discuss it. I guess if the landlod does nor respond then the tenant should forget about the deposit?
    There is an agreement, it is fulfilled. The landlord has no responsibility to continue conversations. Tenants also play this game in reverse when they don't want to commit, then decide to back out last minute with no compensation to the landlord.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    17

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    There is an agreement, it is fulfilled. The landlord has no responsibility to continue conversations. Tenants also play this game in reverse when they don't want to commit, then decide to back out last minute with no compensation to the landlord.
    Thank you everyone for your adviceSo how do I get my 2 month deposit back? There is a clause in my agreement that says the landlord needs to return my deposit within 7 days after lease expiry. I'm guessing if it's after 7 days I can sue my landlord for breach of contract? Has anyone had a similar situation that they can share?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    The correct way to do it would be for the landlord to discuss it. I guess if the landlod does nor respond then the tenant should forget about the deposit?
    ...... If the landlord doesn't give me back my deposit without any reason/communication isn't that illegal? I have a clause in my agreement that says "landlord needs to return my deposit within 7 days after lease expiry"....

    does anyone have a similar past experience they can share?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    19,613
    Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    There is an agreement, it is fulfilled. The landlord has no responsibility to continue conversations. Tenants
    Rubbish. The landlord still holds the deposit, the tenant still holds the keys. It isn't over.

    In the OP's case I would pay the rent as normal, and keep living there until you can get in contact with the landlord and resolve the matter.

Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast