Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MABinPengChau
  • 2 Post By MandM!

Advice needed on work-sponsored apartment during visa wait

Advice needed on work-sponsored apartment during visa wait

Hi all,

I just recently relocated to Hong Kong for a work transfer. My company agreed to pay for one month accommodation and then I am to find an apartment on my own. I am to move into my own apartment on November 19th. There's just one problem...

They just submitted my work visa application this past Friday. Or were supposed to. They have dragged their feet on this for awhile, needless to say, despite my chasing. They also hadn't processed my salary increase and, due to this and lack of visa, I'm making nowhere near what I'm supposed to make (being taxed much higher due to pay through my home country).

I flagged it this weekend and they have agreed to cover the cost of accommodation as long as I'm "unable to confirm a personal lease without the work visa". So I have the following question:

1) is this even possible? I thought you were supposed to have a work visa and/or HKID to get an apartment? The only other way I see around this is to get a serviced apartment and they are expensive. My budget is currently 20K, maximum, and I would ideally like a one bedroom. I've done some shopping around and know this is possible.

2) Am I wrong to stand my ground and say they should pay for another month seeing as that my salary and visa situation is their fault? I've chased this since September.

Any guidance on this would be appreciated!

Last edited by Nelle143; 05-11-2018 at 10:37 AM.

Your position sounds reasonable to me (that is, the company should continue to pay your housing) because they are basically asking you to work without a visa in HK, not good. Hopefully your visa is processed quickly and you find a good place...

Nelle143 likes this.

Whether you are able to rent an apartment or not is up to the individual landlord. Also, do you have a bank account and 3.5 month's rent ? You'll need this to secure your apartment.

I wouldn't recommend to sign any lease and pay deposits until you have your visa in hand. It sounds like you are in HK working now with no visa, which is illegal. If you have a jealous colleague who makes a report to immigration about illegal workers and they raid your office during working hours, well it won't be a pretty situation for you. It's rare, but again it depends on your luck.

If you make all of your deposits and get an apartment then your visa is declined in the end and you need to leave. Who will cover your deposits and furniture's?

shri and Nelle143 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    Whether you are able to rent an apartment or not is up to the individual landlord. Also, do you have a bank account and 3.5 month's rent ? You'll need this to secure your apartment.

I wouldn't recommend to sign any lease and pay deposits until you have your visa in hand. It sounds like you are in HK working now with no visa, which is illegal. If you have a jealous colleague who makes a report to immigration about illegal workers and they raid your office during working hours, well it won't be a pretty situation for you. It's rare, but again it depends on your luck.

If you make all of your deposits and get an apartment then your visa is declined in the end and you need to leave. Who will cover your deposits and furniture's?
    These were my exact thoughts, I just wanted to make sure I was right regarding the apartment process and to confirm my thinking was not insane. Thank you!