Like Tree5Likes

Landlord avoiding stamp duty for tax evasion

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Landlord avoiding stamp duty for tax evasion

Hi,
    I my landlord is denying stamp duty for obvious tax evasion .

My agent is very good and saying that you can pay the stamp duty at Wan Chai office without telling him, and be done with it .

I have queries on this

1. I know he is trying to evade taxes and I don't care about if he lands in jail or not .
    2. Is stamp duty required for House tax benefits
    3. Is there a process in wan chai office that will allow me to pay stamp duty

2. Is stamp duty required for House tax benefits
    Would depend on your companies policies. In addition to a stamped lease agreement, they may also need official receipts, which your landlord may not be willing to provide. Best to check with HR first.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Would depend on your companies policies. In addition to a stamped lease agreement, they may also need official receipts, which your landlord may not be willing to provide. Best to check with HR first.
    Landlord agree to give rent receipts. Please tell me if there is govt approved stuff for this. I think he will be giving me on plain white paper

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    Because she said, landlord will get to know about this . Wanchai office is a sneaky way

As Shri said check with your HR first for the housing tax allowance requirements. Most will require proper receipts as well, and chances are if your landlord will not do the stamp duty they won't provide receipts either. No point paying the stamp duty in that case, unless you are going to risk it and make the receipts yourself.

Our landlord lives in public housing (and thinks we don't know), but still does the stamp duty - minus his address of course. He also initially refused to provide receipts, then said he would only provide receipts directly to the company HR. Finally got him to produce receipts and give them to us. Made his name unable to be read without enigma-grade deciphering skills, and of course no address.

Good luck with it all, getting round dodgy landlords requires way too much time and effort. Next time establish these requirements in writing before signing.

Edit: just seen LL will give receipts, so ignore above, except last para, on avoiding dodgy LLs next time.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    As Shri said check with your HR first for the housing tax allowance requirements. Most will require proper receipts as well, and chances are if your landlord will not do the stamp duty they won't provide receipts either. No point paying the stamp duty in that case, unless you are going to risk it and make the receipts yourself.

Our landlord lives in public housing (and thinks we don't know), but still does the stamp duty - minus his address of course. He also initially refused to provide receipts, then said he would only provide receipts directly to the company HR. Finally got him to produce receipts and give them to us. Made his name unable to be read without enigma-grade deciphering skills, and of course no address.

Good luck with it all, getting round dodgy landlords requires way too much time and effort. Next time establish these requirements in writing before signing.

Edit: just seen LL will give receipts, so ignore above, except last para, on avoiding dodgy LLs next time.
    Thanks for insight . I'll make sure we write that on the agreement before I pay him full advance .

Original Post Deleted
    Thanks , I will check with HR on this

I had a similar type of landlord, just threatened to go to inland revenue and ask why he's not paying the duty stamp, despite me giving him the money. Anyway, I got my deposit back and left the flat. I hate these landlords, hard to find good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    I had a similar type of landlord, just threatened to go to inland revenue and ask why he's not paying the duty stamp, despite me giving him the money. Anyway, I got my deposit back and left the flat. I hate these landlords, hard to find good ones.

Yeah!! Now I kinda get that now .. I will try to get duty paid myself. If any problem arises, then I think I'll threaten him with going to EAA and IRD for complaint.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast