Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cwaddle

Living in Shenzhen and commuting to HK

Living in Shenzhen and commuting to HK

I have a job in HK and on a GEP visa for 2 years. When i get the china visa too, is living in SZ and commuting to HK a viable option? With the fast railway, from Futian to HK it takes only 14 mins. I guess that i will be crossing border effectively but does it take very long to cross? I hope there is a epass.

MandM! likes this.

Are you Chinese? If not you will need a visa to live in Shenzhen. You can only cross the border electronically, i.e. with fingerprint if you have a Chinese resident permit. Not possible on a tourist visa.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    Are you Chinese? If not you will need a visa to live in Shenzhen. You can only cross the border electronically, i.e. with fingerprint if you have a Chinese resident permit. Not possible on a tourist visa.
    Otherwise you will need a new passport every two month.

Depends also a bit where in HK you work. If Sheung Shui, TSW, Yuen Long or near it's fine. If HK Island it's a bit far.

I wouldn't do that.

With the High-speed from Futian pretty much everything around TST or the Island would work. Living in Shenzhen sucks though. Censored internet and you won't be able to get around with just English.

Unless you are married to a mainland citizen, getting a mainland residence permit is going to require more hoops than most people would be able to jump through. A multi-entry tourist visa is not the same thing. Do not assume that a tourist visa will allow you to do things like open internet/ utilities accounts even if you can read Chinese and speak Putonghua. And you'd want excellent health insurance - if (heaven forbid) you get run over by a truck one evening, you do NOT want to be wrangling, in Mandarin, with the government hospitals there.

And even assuming that you live right next to the Futian HSR station and work right next to the Kowloon one, immigration exit/entry procedures twice daily will be eating into your time - and as mentioned above you will be needing a new passport every couple of months.

I have a team member who recently bought a property in Shenzhen and commutes daily to Hong Kong Island for work. He says the commute is fine. However, he is a PRC national (from Shenzhen) with PR in Hong Kong, so he is able to cross the border quickly and of course, has right of abode both in China and HK, so probably a different situation to yourself.

There are some similar threads in the forum about non Chinese nationals travelling between SZ and HK frequently.

As a foreigner, you will need to fill in china arrival and departure forms and have stamps every time. No stamping in HK and can use e channels in HK if you have a HKID card with a functioning smart chip in it. Mainland's e gates scan the codes on the bottom of document's data page and fingerprint , do not require reading a chip, is faster to use than HK's e gates.

In addition to kids going to HK local schools from SZ, there are some foreigners living in Shenzhen going to international schools in HK daily. But there should be few people going to schools the other direction.

Last edited by lighthse003; 19-11-2018 at 03:05 PM.