Like Tree14Likes

Living in Tseung Kwan O South

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Living in Tseung Kwan O South

Anyone here living in Tseung Kwan O South? Are you happy staying where you are now?

How would you describe the area in terms of convenience (proximity to grocery, wet market, MTR), public amenities?

If you used to live in HK island before moving to TKO, would you consider moving back to HK island?

What made you decide to move to TKO South?

What makes TKO South an attractive area to live? Any downside to staying in TKO South?

Kowloon Goon likes this.

It's far away from the airport, local residents report the weather, smog and smell from the rubbish dump is a problem - so it has a stigma. Thus it is cheaper. Probably the only place in HK where probably never appreciated.

i do live in Tseung Kwan O South in the Savannah building. We are very happy here. Espetially for dogs, nature lovers, active people or families its a great place. The location depens on the building. From savannah the wet market is 3 minutes walk. mtr 7 minutes and a big super market is 19 minutes walk. There are many bike streets in TKO. so if you like biking its even more convinient. i would not concider moving back to hk island. Its always crowded, very touristy and way more expensive. You can reach hk island (north point) within 15 minutes so there is no need for us.Downside is that most expats live in hk island. so if you want to meet other expat groups your usually the one that travells the longer distance since people usually meet up on the island line. to central it takes around 40 minutes.We moved there because it doenst feel like living in a big city. Chilling in a restaurant at the promenade just next door feels like a holiday. You here birds instead of city noise and its still a lot to do around.

Quote Originally Posted by unpretty:
    Anyone here living in Tseung Kwan O South? Are you happy staying where you are now?

How would you describe the area in terms of convenience (proximity to grocery, wet market, MTR), public amenities?

If you used to live in HK island before moving to TKO, would you consider moving back to HK island?

What made you decide to move to TKO South?

What makes TKO South an attractive area to live? Any downside to staying in TKO South?
    I have lived in both Tseung Kwan O south and LOHAS Park so here's my two cents.

Firstly I think this stigma of the nearby rubbish dump being smelly comes from those who still think that the rubbish dump is smelly The rubbish dump no longer accepts household rubbish and in my 2+ years of living in these two places, I have only smelled what I think is the rubbish dump once. Or it could be my lack of household hygiene... I think the smell is virtually nonexistent these days but some with a good nose may beg to differ.

TKO south is a nice part of TKO to live in. Buildings are not as tall and the density is (by visual inspection) less than that of Hang Hau or Po Lam. I moved between LOHAS Park and TKO south because I was downsizing and the latter was cheaper and newer (and smaller). It's not the most convenient of places to live in if your circle of activity is mostly in the northern part of Hong Kong Island or the Kowloon peninsula and you're enticed by the aura of the good ol' open air wet markets. There are options outside of supermarkets and in TKO south - you may need to walk further to, say, Beverly Garden. I hope you are a good cook too because while there are plenty of restaurants and cafes, the quality is notoriously so-so (foodie alert). I have taken the opportunity to hone my cooking skills since living in TKO.

If you're one for running, cycling, hiking and even dragon boating, TKO gives you plenty of options to roam to your heart's content too. A swimming pool will be built in between Yee Ming Estate and Tseung Kwan O Plaza in due course so it should save you the trip to the larger one a bit further away.

One major gripe is the connection between TKO and the rest of Hong Kong. I'm taking the through road via Sau Mau Ping and Clear Water Bay Road out of the equation for the sake of argument but TKO Tunnel is congested at most hours for some unexplained reason, and if you add that to an MTR line that goes kaput, commuter chaos would ensue. The Cross Bay Link and second tunnel out to Kowloon is under construction but along with it comes wave after wave of new flats at LOHAS Park and, heaven forbid, development of Tseung Kwan O Area 137.
    chuckster007 and lovehunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    It's far away from the airport, local residents report the weather, smog and smell from the rubbish dump is a problem - so it has a stigma. Thus it is cheaper. Probably the only place in HK where probably never appreciated.
    <snip> Smell is a non-issue these days. <snip>

As long as you aren't an airline pilot, the distance to Tung Chung is immaterial. Excellent transport links, if you must take a taxi it's about half the price of getting one from most European airports to the city centre. MTR is very convenient, crowded in rush hour but not as much as on the island

OP, with the new tunnel opening in a couple of years it will be even easier to get about if cars are your thing (or buses). It has good shopping, and a nice atmosphere, plus great amenities - cycle paths, good public pool, skateboard park, loads of tennis courts, badminton etc, movie theatres with english movies. There are also plenty of expats about, and more every year.
    Last edited by Editor; 03-04-2019 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary noise/irrelevant discussion.

Thanks all for the feedback. I eventually moved to TKO South and have yet to discover hiking options.
    I have lived in hk island all these years before moving to TKO and wished I moved sooner. I occasionally miss the variety and options available at Central wet market but have found the market linked to TKO Gateway as an alternative (though I have to either ride a bike, walk or take MTR to get to the market).

mikebravo and Samantha31 like this.

Good to know you moved out to TKO and you're enjoying calling TKO your home. I confess I did not see the timestamp of your original post so I thought you were still pondering over the move.

Check out High Junk Peak and Little Hawaii Trail when you have time, both easily accessible from different parts of TKO. As with the former, there is a rough but well walked path leading from the back of The Beaumount (opposite LOHAS Park) that takes you to High Junk Peak in less than an hour. Expect great panoramic views of both TKO and the Clear Water Bay Peninsula. You could also cross Clear Water Bay Road and check out the country park areas around the peninsula, then take the bus/GMB back out to Hang Hau. I have yet to head to Little Hawaii Trail but judging from the photos off Google, there is a waterfall and some woodland. Interesting landscape. Happy hiking!

What does the airport have to do with TKO?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    What does the airport have to do with TKO?
    Convenience, or lack thereof.

Convenience, or lack thereof.
    Convenience for everyday living is important, yes. But proximity to an airport?

How is that different from just about anywhere else in HK that's not, say, Tung Chung? And how is that relevant to people who are not flying on a weekly basis?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast