Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By TheBrit
  • 2 Post By JAherbert
  • 1 Post By MandM!

Renew lease - agency fee

Renew lease - agency fee

Hello,

I’m planning on renewing my lease with the landlord. I got the apartment through an agency and I have been dealing with them instead of the landlord, which I assume is normal.
    The landlord wants to charge a 1000 more. If I agree to it and renew the lease. do I have to pay the agency fee again?
    any information on this would be great.
    Thanks in advance

no, you shouldnt have to pay them again. They already got a good dip in the first place.

But only if you don't use them for the renewal. Else I would ask them upfront

If the agent is handling the renewal, then you may have to pay - best to check.

Having said that there is no real reason to involve an agent in an existing tenancy. Who is handling the renewal? Are you speaking / negotiating with the landlord or is the agent doing this?

Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Having said that there is no real reason to involve an agent in an existing tenancy.
    Language barrier can be one common reason. Most agents don't try to charge for this I've found.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    If the agent is handling the renewal, then you may have to pay - best to check.

Having said that there is no real reason to involve an agent in an existing tenancy. Who is handling the renewal? Are you speaking / negotiating with the landlord or is the agent doing this?
    the landlord often has the agent handle the renewal 1) as a favour to the landlord but also 2) the agent likes to keep in contact with LL. And it is no cost to either. Personally, i have never been charged for renewal in 20+ years.
    shri and TheBrit like this.

No Agency fees is required. You just deal direct with the landlord. but you must pay stamp duty from both parties.

Quote Originally Posted by bananas
    ...but you must pay stamp duty from both parties.
    rubbish, each pays 50%

There is no law on each party pays 50% of the stamp duty, however it is normally shared equally between both parties. Whilst the responsibility by law is jointly and severally by both parties as well.

traineeinvestor likes this.

Generally, you should not have to pay any fee on renewing a lease. None of the agents I have worked with charge for helping on renewals.

MandM1 is correct. Responsibility for stamp duty is negotiable but (in my experience) is almost always shared equally.