Real estate agency of which licence number isn't found

Real estate agency of which licence number isn't found

I'm about to make a contract for a place to stay in HK, but I'm getting a bit suspicious by a problem.

The counterpart of the contract is a real estate agency which looks like a small firm, but the problem is that its licence number isn't found on HK's real estate licence number list:

Licence list

Do you think it's a red flag? I was glad that I could find a room in a reasonable price, but now I'm not sure whether it's okay to go ahead... Really a big challenge to find a good place to stay.

Is the agency signing the rental contract on behalf of the landlord?

Also, you want to make sure that they can give you a land search record of who the landlord really is.

You also mentioned "room" - is this a subdivided unit or a shared apartment?

Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

You might be searching wrong.

The company has a license number
    The agent has a license number

Not sure if that database searches all records or just individual licenses.

But it doesn't matter, what matters is what shri said, are you paying the registered owner of the property (it cost HK$10 to run a land search). All cheques should only be made out to the registered owner of the property and crossed to prevent others from cashing the cheques.

Land registry

https://www2.iris.gov.hk/eservices/welcome.jsp

Top left click on "Search Land Register"

Do your own search to prevent a "fake record" being given to you.

Please be direct with the agent or Agency & ask for the BR and lic. It is illegal to operate in HK without a license number & to receive commission. You can call up EAA (estate agent authority)

It could be a landlord/company that is renting subdivided flats or rooms in a flat. This does not require a real estate agency license. If you are finding a good price and saving money, likely something is dodgy and you'll run into problems and drama later - there is huge demand for flats especially ones for single people, couples and small families - anything that is "left" waiting for you is left available for a reason, because no one else wants it and something is wrong. That's up to you if you want to go down that route or not.

A lot of people on this website forget that housing is based upon supply and demand. There is a huge demand and limited supply. No one in HK "needs" you, there are plenty others to take your spot.