Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Prices and choice of accommodation in Ap Lei Chau

Quote Originally Posted by MatB
    The thing is, on the search websites the choice is so limited I can only find around up to 10 apartments in my range on Ap Lei Chau. So I cannot really choose if I want South Horizons, Larvotto or something else. Im looking for something small, with a view, newer built or renovated, great if there is a tiny balcony.

I like the area as it seems a bit more quiet, and I conclude air must be a bit cleaner as it is shielded from Pearl River and Kowloon by a hill and it is on a windy seaside.
    The air quality is no different, I was just in Aberdeen and its as bad as the rest of the city today.

The way to find flats is to go to the area and find a local estate agent. Basically impossible to do it online plus you cannot trust the listings are accurate.

When you arrive go to Marina Square shopping center at South Horizons, they have 3-4 agents that you can walk into and check whats available.
    JAherbert likes this.

Do you think East Side is a good alternative which also has cleaner air?
    really, no point moving to HK to looking for clean air, and winter is often the worst

shri likes this.

Great advice, thanks! Is the air better on East side? Or is there a place with better air quality?

Im not looking for Alpine air off course. Just keen to mitigate the air problem as much as possible.

I find 28 house rental search website has more listings, just to give you an idea of what is available:

https://www.28hse.com/en/rent/distri.../house-type-g1

That link was for Aberdeen but just go back to the main page and search away.

If you are picky on air quality, it is better on outlying islands, especially with no motorized vehicles...a viable commute if you work in or near Central. I love it but others think I am crazy...low rent, quiet, clean air and pleasant commute, worth the inconvenience of being tied to a ferry schedule. Just putting it out there as an option...

Some of what is on 28 house is expired but at least you do see more variety- not just the big developments but some 1-building estates and such.

I have found all the places I have lived in HK (three different flats so far) on the Internet- contacting the listing agent to see the flat. I guess I don't have much faith that agents will show me what I want to see ( I go for the lower end properties, no agent wants to show those low-commission properties).

So keep looking, the advice to get a serviced apartment is good but I was coming with pets and did not have the luxury to stay somewhere as most serviced places do not allow pets.

I like the area as it seems a bit more quiet, and I conclude air must be a bit cleaner as it is shielded from Pearl River and Kowloon by a hill and it is on a windy seaside.

I've seen this thinking crop up a lot here. It's either from people who are simply unfamiliar with the territory, or people who live here and are actively in denial.

I used to watch pollution charts obsessively. I have also walked around HK with a portable air sensor. Yes I am nerd.

There is no 'cleaner'. There are some areas that are noticeable worse, like street level in the most congested areas like mongkok, but there is no getting away from the average here. If the wind is from the north, all of HK is very screwed, nowhere is 'shielded'.
    shri and TheBrit like this.

Just too much info you wouldn't get from a website (even if the input were to be totally honest...), like do the upstairs neighbours like to practise tap-dancing at midnight, is there a building site next door, is there a small temple downstairs where people are burning smoky incense 24/7, are there plumbing issues in the area causing Pongs and roadworks, etc., etc. ad nauseum.

Add to those the lack of consumer protection laws which means there is nothing to stop a major developer photo-shopping a complete district out of existence in their brochures (good luck if you're looking for West Tuen Mun in any of Sino's photos of Gold Coast, for instance), including photos of a flat totally unrelated to the listing, or including a plan with doll's house size furniture drawn in to give a fals idea of scale.

And the good places will snapped up within 24 hours, so hardly worthwhile listing them.

DO check out different districts before setting your heart on one sight unseen - lots of different vibes you won't get from the net.

ANother thing you will notice is that whole idea of distance in HK is different from any other big city I've known - only here would Ap Lei Chau be described as "outlying." I live about 45 minutes commute from Central and people consider it to be the Utter Ends of the Earth.

Thanks for the tip. However if area A is bad and area B is even worse, I would say that in this comparison area A is cleaner and therefore I would choose it, even if its still bad. From the choice there is, I would like to choose the cleanest (but no too far).

Thank you so much for the advice! Indeed I am similarly out of the box thinking as you are, and was already eying Ma Wan Island. It is vehicle free but it is directly opposite Pearl River delta, which must bring pollution.

Question about the ferries - how do they operate in the night, and during adverse weather? Thanks!

Thank you so much for the advice! Indeed I am similarly out of the box thinking as you are, and was already eying Ma Wan Island. It is vehicle free but it is directly opposite Pearl River delta, which must bring pollution.
    Choose somewhere other than mongkok, and run air filters. That second one is the biggest mitigating factor you can choose, short of choosing not to come to HK.

You keep thinking that pollution comes down the river. This is thinking too small.

Look at the size of the Chinese mainland compared to HK. Polluted air comes across the entire border. I believe that the windy.com sure might have a view for pollution, that should illustrate it quite well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast