Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree8Likes

Prices and choice of accommodation in Ap Lei Chau

The pollution is very disobedient, and refuses to stick to the river - the hills are not high enough to keep it from being everywhere in HK.
    Check out the pollution at street level; the big differences are going to be between the highly trafficked concrete canyons and anywhere else.

I live on Peng Chau and my law partner lives on Ma Wan and the only time ferries have been canceled is during the typhoon (when most things were shut down). Very reliable, always on time, my ferry is pretty cheap, around 15 each way.

My ferry has an overnight ferry around 3AM, I think the last ferry before that is around 12:30 AM (I am not a late-night person).

Ma Wan/Park Island is connected by a bridge so can always get home by land 24/7 (taxi for really off hours but I think bu service all night).

I like Park Island, I think the development is very nice, prices are decent commute is decent (again, if you're in or near Central, I am in Sheung Wan for work). Some people think it is "soul-less" but I guess you could say all high-rises are like that.

I guess a lot depends on your schedule and how much partying/bar hopping whatever that you like to do...I have never been a night person so it doesn't impact me at all.

A lot of people say live really near work your first year at least and then decide if you want to move further away (islands/New Territories). But as someone else said, HK is pretty compact so you are almost never all that far from work. I am coming from the US where a 1 hour commute each way is about average (with the awful traffic involved in driving in most major cities). So my 30 minute or 40 minute ferry ride (two kinds on my island) doesn't really bother me- but it bothers a lot of people, only you know if it's for you.

Thanks! The ferry schedule seems totally fine if it is like that. But maybe youre right, get something close to Sheung Wan (work) for the first months or a year.

One more thing - are balconies a rarity in smaller apartments? Or considered a luxury? Would love one.

In older buildings more likely a roof balcony- I have a 477 square foot roof balcony same size as my flat- there are lots of older buildings in Sheung Wan/Sai Ying Pun that have roof balconies or terraces, just have to look. Balconies are less common it seems to me and many are tiny and useless.

Look for older walkup buildings if you want roof space (I am 2/F walk up, then one more floor up for the balcony).

First to the OP, tons of western expats on the Islands to the west or southwest of Hong Kong. Discovery Bay and Lamma are full of westerners. Less western but still have expats are Cheung Chau and Peng Chau. Sai Kung and Clearwater Bay in eastern New Territories have westerners scattered in many different villages. All mentioned areas are remote in the HKSAR, reason is not having MTR stations. Most Islands are not connected by roads to the city. Vehicles need permit to enter most parts of Lantau. On the other hand, Aberdeen and ALC, Sha Tin, Kwai Tsing, Tsuen Wan, Tseng Kwan O are not considered remote, because they have MTR stations and a lot of shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch
    DO check out different districts before setting your heart on one sight unseen - lots of different vibes you won't get from the net.

ANother thing you will notice is that whole idea of distance in HK is different from any other big city I've known - only here would Ap Lei Chau be described as "outlying." I live about 45 minutes commute from Central and people consider it to be the Utter Ends of the Earth.

Ap Lei Chau is not too bad. You can be a few metres from the coast, the Mid Levels and the Peak are not. The shopping mall and wet market in South Horizons are relatively small , not the IFC and Causeway Bay types but enough for basic things. Sure it is not going to be cheap because of the seaview or being close to coast. In the same building on the island, having sea view is more expensive than no sea view. The cheapest part you can get is in the northern part east of SH. The Lei Tung area on the eastern part is a public estate area expats are not eligible to apply. You get relatively southern location, good if the pollution comes from the north. You are in a slightly warmer position when the winter wind blow from the north and northeast. And bad position when typhoon wind blow from the southeast. Good in summer because of the southern wind.
    Last edited by lighthse003; 13-01-2019 at 12:02 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3