Finding cheaper flat

Finding cheaper flat

Do to a “downsizing” in income I’m looking for a cheaper flat. I’ve rented from the same landlord for 6 years, so not much experience in finding alternative accommodations.

I’d like to be in 12K a month ballpark, 2 bedroom. Obviously that means somewhere in the NT. Everything posted online does not fit the bill, $-wise. Is there some local estate agent I should be speaking to or Chinese websites? Or, do I bite the bullet and stay where I am - with an inevitable rent increase?

Quote Originally Posted by KowloonRun
    Do to a “downsizing” in income I’m looking for a cheaper flat. I’ve rented from the same landlord for 6 years, so not much experience in finding alternative accommodations.

I’d like to be in 12K a month ballpark, 2 bedroom. Obviously that means somewhere in the NT. Everything posted online does not fit the bill, $-wise. Is there some local estate agent I should be speaking to or Chinese websites? Or, do I bite the bullet and stay where I am - with an inevitable rent increase?
    do you mind living in a village? where do you work?

Open to anything. I work “around” - Olympic, Jordan, Tin Hau. My SO works in Wan Chai.

There are decent flats in that price bracket close to NT transport hubs, but you won't find them advertised online. Same as for someone just off the plane, you need to put feet on the ground in the areas which interest you and speak face-to-face with local agents. In my limited experience, the independent agencies work better than the big chains/ franchises for lower price places.

And do check out various areas; there are at least as many different "vibes" in the NT (even within the new towns) as there are in Kowloon or HK island neighbourhoods.

Thanks. That’s about what I figured.

you can get reasonable value rural house for around HK$11-12 for 700 sq ft in kam sheung rd, which is only around 12 mins to east tst, they are mostly in chinese though, sites such as

28hse.com
    gohome.com.hk
    property.hk

Thanks for the tip!

Also have a look at the older apartments around North Point/ Quarry Bay.

In my experience, there's no substitute for pounding the pavement in HK. Identify a few neighborhoods that would suit you both and go for a walk around, see which buildings might interest you and check out the local agents in that neighborhood. Very quickly, they will tell you and you will see what you can get for your price. Best to say you are prepared to pay up to 15K to give yourself a margin to negotiate. It is in my opinion one of the hellish experiences in HK so if you are happy with your current place and it's less than a couple of thousand difference, you might want to consider biting the bullet.

Many thanks.