Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Would it be any problem, if i break my apartment contract because my landlord accuse me that i steal money from the neighbor?

Would it be any problem, if i break my apartment contract because my landlord accuse me that i steal money from the neighbor?

Hi guys!

Last Saturday (16 March 2019) , my landlord text to me and saying that i could return 7k hkd to him in order to return to my neighbor for prevent them to involve the police in and make this story go big because they think, i am a thief (i never even talked with any neighbor after lived there for 9 months).
    But until now no police show up at all, even i didn't pay them anything.

After that i were really mad and start looking for a new place immediately.
    For now, i already got the new apartment to move in.

But the thing that i worry is that my rental contract will be ended in the end of June (but of course i will move out asap)

So if i tell him now (22 March 2019) that i will move out in the end of this month (31 march 2019),
    And i do not care about the deposit also.

Would it be any consequence and issues after (like if he ask me to pay for April and May rent) but i cant do that, or any other stuff that i might not see following this breaking lease contract.

Thanks!

You can't break your lease without consequences no. Your landlord will keep your deposit. Just stick it out until you can leave legally. It was probably just a misunderstanding.

If you did nothing wrong, you should turn the table on your landlord and call the police first and report that he has tried to extort you.

shri likes this.

Doing a runner would make you look guilty as hell TBH

robertlempriere likes this.

Since i do not care about the deposit, so if i just give him that money, would be any other thing that i need to be worried?

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86
    Doing a runner would make you look guilty as hell TBH
    So i should stay there with those kind of ppl that accused me without any reason?

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    You can't break your lease without consequences no. Your landlord will keep your deposit. Just stick it out until you can leave legally. It was probably just a misunderstanding.
    If the deposit is not my concern, any other thing that i should worry about?

Quote Originally Posted by Golem
    If you did nothing wrong, you should turn the table on your landlord and call the police first and report that he has tried to extort you.
    I am thinking about this also, but might be too late for now, since it happened also a week already.

Would not pay the landlord anything and would also make a report of your conversation over texts with him to the police. I suspect you can portray this as an attempt to extort you.

No need to let the landlord know that you've done this.

By the way, why are you not worried about your deposit?

jrkob likes this.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Would not pay the landlord anything and would also make a report of your conversation over texts with him to the police. I suspect you can portray this as an attempt to extort you.

No need to let the landlord know that you've done this.

By the way, why are you not worried about your deposit?
    Because it is only 7k (1 month deposit), so my stuffs inside the room have much more value than that.
    This why i prefer move out asap.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast