Like Tree53Likes

Moving to Sai Kung, working in Sha Tin: what to expect?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I've been on the search for a place for awhile now. I find the stock and prices relatively true - however am looking for purchase not for rental. Looking at spacious, okay.com and Centaline even. I find midland typically prices in a discount in their ads.

Seesaw67 likes this.

There are serviced apartments in Ma On Shan (Horizon Suites) with bus or MTR options for travel to Sha Tin while you get your bearings. The Sai Sha Road between Sai Kung Kung and Ma On Shan (on way to Sha Tin) is an okay commute but it comes to a standstill if there's an accident, heavy rain, road works etc. as it is a two lane road with no hard shoulder. If you leave early (before 7.15) it is an easy commute but traffic is increasing due to Sai Kung population increasing.

Sai Kung has a lot more going on in terms of venues and social life options than Sha Tin or really any other New Territories town. It's a nice place to visit, plenty of pubs and restaurants and much more Western than the rest of the NT.

MABinPengChau and Seesaw67 like this.

bsh

Long term roadworks will be in place for the next couple of years for a stretch of Sai Sha Road with a huge increase in housing.

Its not pleasant now and theres already more traffic accidents since the roadworks started.

@Seesaw67 when you get to HK and start looking, head towards Ma On shan and past the roundabout there are a few Estate agents there, ask for village houses and nothing further than Che Ha Village.

Dont go towards Sai Kung or in Sai Kung, STAY AWAY as the shitty commute on a screwed up road with too many muppets driving and looking at phones causes constant accidents and traffic jams, during typhoons the road floods or fallen trees and thats it Sai Sha road is closed off/blocked which means you have to go all the way around which is another 26 km drive in bad traffic.

2-3 bedroom village houses in Che Ha village should be perfect for you for 15-20K, if in upper range then try to get a free car park space also.

https://goo.gl/maps/vL2oER29bVk

Seesaw67 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    Sai Kung to Shatin is quite far and the road is narrow. Not a convenient commute imho. I'd look at Tai Po Kau/Kau To Shan, Shatin Mid-Levels or places near the Shatin race course instead.
    Sai Kung to Shatin is an easy commute on one bus. Takes about 45 mins. If the OP wants to live in a village house, I would recommend looking along that bus route though. Because connecting would add significantly to the journey time.
    Seesaw67 likes this.

Shatin to sai kung is a long drive and quite bendy roads, it's horrible drive while heavy rain, a place like Pak shek kok is significantly convenient, but there won't be much pubs or night life there unless you like living with nice views of greenery and harbour.

Seesaw67 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    Shatin to sai kung is a long drive and quite bendy roads, it's horrible drive while heavy rain, a place like Pak shek kok is significantly convenient, but there won't be much pubs or night life there unless you like living with nice views of greenery and harbour.
    Yeah I would not drive it. I would let the bus driver do that and spend my time relaxing or Geoexpatting on my phone!
    Seesaw67 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    Sai Kung to Shatin is an easy commute on one bus. Takes about 45 mins.
    The huge lane-widening project and all the construction trucks coming in and out of the Ma Kwu Lam area will add to that.

https://saikungbuzz.hk/2018/08/contr...wn-development
    The project is expected to be completed in the second quarter of 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoTommy
    The huge lane-widening project and all the construction trucks coming in and out of the Ma Kwu Lam area will add to that.

https://saikungbuzz.hk/2018/08/contr...wn-development
    if they are wideing the road, expect massive delays and roadworks for the next 4 years, nice, a 45-1hour drive becomes at 90mins-2hour drive, nice! if i was you, i stay away, that shatin to sai kung bus drive could be a mini hourly hotel by the amount of time spent in the traffic jams ( i once caught a bus from hung hom station/east tst to stanley, took 2.45hours, it was not a nice experience, but probably good if i was homeless esp with the internet nowadays)
    Seesaw67 likes this.

For some perspective, you have the two key arterial routes in/out of Sai Kung, Sai Sha Road and Hiram's Highway, undergoing widening and realignment as we speak and will be for the next few years. Details on Sai Sha Road's works are articulated in GeoTommy's post. The first phase of the Hiram's Highway improvement works (from Clear Water Bay Road to Marina Cove) is expected to be completed in the next year or two (I heard end of 2020); the second phase (Marina Cove to Sai Kung Town) has yet to commence and is in advanced planning stage.

If you don't have to travel in and out of Sai Kung then it is definitely a lovely, quiet place to live in; if you do, bear the above in mind when making your decision. All the best.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast