Like Tree53Likes

Moving to Sai Kung, working in Sha Tin: what to expect?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Moving to Sai Kung, working in Sha Tin: what to expect?

Hi Everyone

I know I can look at a few online agency sites, but they don’t seem to be entirely trustworthy (the flat with one bathroom but pictures of two entirely different bathrooms in the listing, for example).

I’m arriving in August, on my own, 52, looking for a two bed place in Sai Kung with parking. Working in Sha Tin so a car (or motorbike) looks necessary? Budget is 15000 to 25000ish. Of course, if 15k does the job then I’m happy, but I’ll be earning about 85k net and want to have visitors so somewhere decent (I know, decent is so subjective).

Any ideas regarding options and/or what I can expect gratefully received.

Thanks

Don't rely on any websites. Come here first, book yourself a serviced apartment for a month and make a choice in person

emx, Seesaw67, TheBrit and 1 others like this.

But you can look at websites to see what you can get in that budget range- all three places I have rented in HK I found on websites (then call the agent to see them). The flat I live in I rented just on pics but had lived in the development before so knew what I was getting.

28house gives you the English and Chinese listings with the Chinese translated by Google. For New Territories and Islands, seems to me to have more listings than other websites.

In your price range, can easily get one floor of a village house (700 square feet). Roof balcony or garden if you are on levels 3 or 1. Often with parking if you are getting a car (but can be separate fee). Whether you need a car depends on your patience with public transit and how remote you pick.

Here is 28house:

https://www.28hse.com/en/

Kowloon Goon and Seesaw67 like this.

If you live in Ma On Shan you won't need a car and you're still close to Sai Kung on the weekends. Space for local visitors isn't needed. Usually you meet out or your building may have facilities to throw parties. For overseas visitors you can consider paying for a hotel if visits aren't frequent. It may save you money in the long-term. Not trying to discourage you from moving to Sai Kung, but just giving you an alternative viewpoint from a long-term expat.

Go get yourself a serviced residence for the first month, then have a look around. Tai Po and Tai Po Kau could also be an option for green living.

traffic to and from Sai Kung can be pretty bad, as well...

Also, consider parking costs. Not cheap, especially if you're on a 15k budget.

Better to pay a bit more in rent than the hassle of a car, unless you are a car person. Guessing that parking at work could be pricey.

Kowloon Goon, MandM! and Seesaw67 like this.

Sai Kung to Shatin is quite far and the road is narrow. Not a convenient commute imho. I'd look at Tai Po Kau/Kau To Shan, Shatin Mid-Levels or places near the Shatin race course instead.

Seesaw67 and imparanoic like this.

I wouldn't want to be driving that route as a commute - lots of traffic heading north/ west as well as in the opposite direction in the mornings. If you started from Sai Kung Town Centre, you could get a seat on the 299X and snooze, read, or whatever your way to work, but I wouldn't like my chances of getting a seat at one of the villages along the way (lazy so-and-so that I am, I wouldn't fancy walking up the hill to the bus stop in the summer heat/ rain either). Also, getting the shopping done from those places is a pain.

Definitely come and have a good mosey around in person all the districts mentioned before you make any decisions.

MABinPengChau and Seesaw67 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Better to pay a bit more in rent than the hassle of a car, unless you are a car person. Guessing that parking at work could be pricey.
    It's not just about parking cost. It's also more about needing to have a plan before you get in your car. It's not like let's jump in the car and go somewhere this weekend type place.

I have driven that route plenty of times. I wouldn't live in Sai Kung unless I drive all the time. Just my opinion. Too many times see long queues to get on a full bus.

Getting from Sai Kung to Sha tin is not that bad but again those are big districts. It depends where to where.

Seesaw67 and East_coast like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast