Like Tree7Likes

Do any Hong Kong Estate Agents speak English?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do any Hong Kong Estate Agents speak English?

After a frustrating day, I vote no.

It's not even speaking, it's the complete inability to make an attempt to communicate in something other than their native tongue. I would have thought their fat commissions would make using Google Translate an attractive partner.

/rant

If you walk into a random agency. No.
    There are agencies targeting expats.

MABinPengChau likes this.

its all numbers. how much? how big? which floor? as easy as going to the wet market

Quote Originally Posted by littlemermaid:
    If you walk into a random agency. No.
    There are agencies targeting expats.
    To be fair - they have very limited and/or expensive inventory

Depending on the area you're looking in, I'd expect the agents to be fully conversational in "real estate english". Have not encountered a non-english speaker to the extent described above, in the areas I've lived in over the last 25 years - all on the island. Been through about 5-6 apartment rentals, several office moves and a few rent/buy/sell transactions on the commercial side.

Have only lived on the Kowloon side and while I've encountered my share of asshole real estate, they've all been able to speak English.

My Swedish brother-in-law, who speaks excellent English, was great at pretending he knew not a word of English when it suited him (like when he took pics INSIDE the White House, a big no-no).

So if they didn't feel like dealing with you they could just feign ignorance...

I must be the lucky one.

Poor little darling coming to China and not finding people that speak good enough English for you. Boo hoo... What's next? Can't find a decent Fish n Chips shop?

rs4 and mexmon like this.

Fat commissions?? You mean half month of a rental or 1% on a purchase? That is likely bargained another 30-50% off. Then the agent might get 10-30% of what's left.

English is more than enough. You want them to sell you on the place? Open your eyes.

They only want rich mainlanders. Mandarin is more important than English nowadays.

rs4 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast