Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Living in HK as a family

Living in HK as a family

Hi all!

My husband Giles and I, Silvia, will be moving to HK in August... excited and terrified! I am in Italian and Giles is English and we have two 4 year old twins. Their school is Nord Anglia in Tai Tam.

Any suggestions on where to look for accommodation? Our budget is about 20K HKD/month and we are looking for a 2BR apartment..I understand housing is a minefield in HK so I'm trying to prepare for the worse... but any chance at all we could find an apt with swimming pool? I hear Sai Kung and Kowloon are good choices for renting extra space but how is it going to be taking the kids to school every day?

Any suggestions much appreciated!
    Thanks
    Silvia

Hi Silvia,

Welcome to hong kong. You can look around for accommodations in many parts of HK including near to Nord Anglia school. Since travelling is very easy, you can easily look for a 2 bed room accommodation around many places; but the reality in HK is its small size flats - typically for Europeans, expectation is high but reality is different. However, don't worry, you don't need to worry much as all places are very well surrounded by all basic requirements.

Reg place, Nord Anglia school is in New Terrotories; I don't think its in Tai Tam.

Please feel free to reach, in case you need any further information....

Manju

Silvia&Giles likes this.

1. Try this website to look for potential accommodation -

https://www.28hse.com/en/rent/place-1/house-type-g1

2. Kornhill in Quarry Bay has got swimming pools. There might be something within your budget.

3. The school may probably have school bus to pick up your kids from Kornhill to Tai Tam. If not, going there by public transport or even taxi are not expensive.

While transportation is pretty good in HK, it's always better not to waste hours in it particularly at rush hour where the buses and MTR are extremely crowded and taxis harder to find. Nord Anglia school is in Lam Tin, HKIS is the school in Tai Tam so it would be best to figure out where the school is and where your workplace(s) are to try to find a suitable area to live. Finding a 2bdrm with swimming pool around 20K is possible but it will likely be small and the further out you go, the more chances of finding what you like. Some families opt for larger accommodation in villages and join clubs or go to the beach for swimming.

Quote Originally Posted by manjunathsamaga
    Hi Silvia,

Welcome to hong kong. You can look around for accommodations in many parts of HK including near to Nord Anglia school. Since travelling is very easy, you can easily look for a 2 bed room accommodation around many places; but the reality in HK is its small size flats - typically for Europeans, expectation is high but reality is different. However, don't worry, you don't need to worry much as all places are very well surrounded by all basic requirements.

Reg place, Nord Anglia school is in New Terrotories; I don't think its in Tai Tam.

Please feel free to reach, in case you need any further information....

Manju
    Nord Anglia has a preschool campus in Tai Tam. With four year old twins that's where they would be going
    Silvia&Giles likes this.

I'd ask Nord Anglia what the school bus routes to Tai Tam campus are and base your searches around those areas. Likely around Tai Koo Shing area would be served and in budget.

Silvia&Giles likes this.

finding a decent place (for a family of 4) in Taikoo or Kornhill for 20k will be very very difficult...

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Your housing budget is very challenging if your children will be in NA Tai Tam campus. I guess work is paying for the school as it’s quite pricey. You need to go up to at least $35K honestly to get somewhere a decent distance from school and decent quality.

As TheBrit says I would base my location search around the school bus route. As the main Nord Anglia campus is in Kowloon they may have school buses from around there. Did you not get admission to the Sai Kung kindergarten if you are thinking of that area? Also if your twins are 4 then I’m guessing next year they should move to the Kowloon campus.

Tai Tam has relatively poor public transport (1 big bus and 1 or 2 minibuses from North East HK Island only). So from anywhere else you have change buses/trains or take a taxi.

I would rethink my housing budget and forget about the pool, HK is an expensive place for housing. Try an older building without any facilities for a half decent size place. You could try Chai Wan / Shau Kei Wan to be closer to school if not in Kowloon.

If you really want use of a pool there are some options, in order of cost. There are public pools in many districts. There are pay per use clubs like the SCAA which only charges $100 membership per year but you pay per use of facilities. If you are sporty you can join a private club on a sports membership but the monthly fee can still be a lot.
    Hong Kong also has a lot of beaches and the sea temperature is quite warm. Turtle Cove Beach is small but is only about a 5 minute walk down a path from the NA kindergarten.

Silvia&Giles likes this.

i live in taikoo shing. the rent for a two bed room apartment is around 25k (space about 600 sqft). In nearby areas, the rent would be around 20k (space around 500 sqft. These are decent apartments.

As mentioned by AmRa, the main campus is in Kowloon. So, you may decide accordingly.

For TaiTam school the nearby areas are Quarry Bay, North Point and Taikoo. You will get all types of houses.

If your husband's employer provides stay for 1 month, you can decide on the flat quickly. Usually the process is very simple and the Agents will help a lot.

Last edited by manjunathsamaga; 20-04-2019 at 11:46 PM.
    Silvia&Giles likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast