Like Tree10Likes

Move to Hong Kong with children aged 2 & 4

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaW1980:
    Hi, thanks for your replies. We don't have a set budget given by the company as they don't provide expat packages, but we will be looking in the region of 40-45,000 a month.
    The kids only speak English. I am hoping to work, so will need full time nursery for the 2 year old (he will be 3 in February 2020)
    Total package is 130,000 a month
    Thanks
    Anna

Apologies for dumb questions but rent allowances is including 130K ? If you don’t spend amount on rent, will you be able to take cash out ?

Quote Originally Posted by PKS_2000:
    With this income and rent allowance I don’t think money is problem.

Lifestyle in DB is way better for expat than Tung Chung.
    Really? 130K total monthly income doesn't seem like crazy money to me. Seems she's saying the budget for housing is $40K out of that $130K, not on top of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:

ESF will be tough to get in as the prioritize people with permanent residency.
    Totally not true. As an example ESF Tung Chung Kindergarten still has places available in both K1 and K2. Students who go to the Kindergarten are guaranteed a place in the ESF primary school - Kowloon Junior, which then feeds into King George V.

Quote Originally Posted by PKS_2000:

Lifestyle in DB is way better for expat than Tung Chung.
    If you want to be with the pilot wives and other western expats living in a bubble, then sure.

Tung Chung also has a thriving local and expat community, lots of airport staff, families and parks etc. We've done both DB and Tung Chung and really enjoy Tung Chung for the diversity and options - wet markets, restaurants, schooling, much more diverse expats.

Quote Originally Posted by bravizzel:
    Totally not true. As an example ESF Tung Chung Kindergarten still has places available in both K1 and K2. Students who go to the Kindergarten are guaranteed a place in the ESF primary school - Kowloon Junior, which then feeds into King George V.
    I guess Tung Chung is different but the zoned ESF primary for DB is Bradbury on HK Island. Long ass bus ride or ferry/bus trip for the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by bravizzel:
    That starts for kids entering KG1 in 2020, which means the first batch of kids who are guaranteed a Primary place won't transition to Primary until 2022.

A result of that policy will be that KG places for the Tung Chung location will become highly competitive in the coming years.
    Last edited by civil_servant; 30-05-2019 at 10:54 AM.

Yeah for living wise DB is better than Tung Chung. It's a bit of a cove away from HK, just a short boat ride away. I would say definitely figure out what schools you are interested in, the costs, and rent. 40k will get you a decent place in HK. I mean you won't get a house to yourself, but you can get a flat of more than 1100 sqft (quick google search). BTW if you don't already know HK families live in much smaller ones. Like squeezing 6 in 400 sqft small. Get familiarized with the enrollment procedures. Schools are competitive to get enrolled in, and some schools parents start before they are born lol.

Alternative is to stagger the move (which could seem like more work and money but might ending saving you money), have your husband come here first, figure out what to do, and then wife and kids come with the rest of the belongings. It's all stressful, but less so than having to make the right decision on a place you have never lived in.

Thanks for all the information everyone. This does sound like we have left it late, but we didn't plan on moving to Hong Kong. My husband was redundant from his job in the UK and got approached by a company in Hong Kong for which he has now been offered the job. It's not great timing as our son needs to start school this September. If we do all go, the plan would be for my husband to go in September until Christmas and we join him in January.
    Our total package - salary & special allowance for accommodation is total $130k a month, plus I am hoping to continue doing my UK job over there from home in Hong Kong, so our total salary package would be in the region of $170k a month. We don't know how long we will be over for, it depends on how the job goes, it could be 2-3 years, or could be longer
    - Is it possible to get school places to start in January, or do you always have to start in September?
    - Are you able to apply for a school place whilst still in the UK?
    - Are all Kindergartens part time? I would definitely need full time care for my younger son, so I am guessing it would be a live in nanny? If anyone has any experience of a 9-5pm nursery, please can you send me details?
    - We really like the look of Discovery Bay, so to confirm are the options for schools ESF and International School for expats? $122k a year is what we were thinking it would be and this is similar to private junior school in the UK anyway
    - What are the hours of the school day in Hong Kong and can children do any after school clubs with school?
    Thanks, as you can see I have lots of questions!!

Last edited by AnnaW1980; 30-05-2019 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Error
    PKS_2000 likes this.

My advice for anyone moving with children is to sort the school situation first- yes, it is THAT difficult for places- then sort out housing, knowing where you will go to school. There are various school buses that go to Discovery Bay to other schools on Lantau but not all schools have bus options so you want to make sure you can sort out transport issues to the school, especially since you won't have a car if you choose Discovery Bay.

Probably more of a chance to get a school spot if you start in the fall- but, expats move, you never know. But it would be good to contact any candidate school (including schools on Hong Kong Island, there are some schools that pick up at the ferry piers) as soon as you can.

There are options in Discovery Bay for younger children: you can contact DBIS and they will tell you what the chances are there, and how long the waiting list is, but there are other kindergardens like Discovery Mind, there's also a Montessori school and several others. Suggest joining DB mums facebook group for DB specific info. DB is very easy for expats, its not everyones cup of tea but it is a popular place to be especially with younger children. Your rental budget will easily get you a nice 3BR apartment in DB suggest googling some of the DB real estate companies for an idea on size/cost etc. Also look at the local magazine for an idea on things: arounddb.com

civil_servant likes this.