Like Tree14Likes

28, Single - How is Ap Lei Chau with the new MTR

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Kennedy Town has a lot more randomness (or diversity) to it.

Went to Ap Lei Chau the other day for a hair cut and the only option in the $60 range was "1". Kennedy Town has more. Want a quick take away? Kennedy Town has more options. Craving some regular vietnamese food? Kennedy Town has more options. Looking for a random widget Kennedy Town has more shops. Want to go to a gym? Kennedy Town has more options and as far as I know, Ap Lei Chau folks have to get to Wong Chuk Hang.

KT also has a pretty decent LCSD center for swimming and sports - Ap Lei Chau, well you'd have to get on a bus or the MTR.

KT has a slightly younger feel to it - given that it has become home to many younger / single expats and has a sizable HKU grad population living there.

Make a list of random things that you would do without having to plan a commute or use public transport... look for them in both locations and you'll find that KT has more options.

If you're looking at a rental and the cost difference is negligible, I'd go to KT.

merchantms, TheBrit and MandM! like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Have you ever done the transfer at Admiralty station? I haven't and I don't ever plan to.
    Waiting times in Admiralty is only a problem during rush hour.
    The OP works from home so that scenario may not apply.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Waiting times in Admiralty is only a problem during rush hour.
    The OP works from home so that scenario may not apply.
    I have done the transfer at off peak hours several times. No issues.

Peak hours... even the f'ing lift lobby in my office building gets congested and it takes 5-10 mins to get into the lift.

I went to South Horizons just to ride the new (to me) MTR and to see what was there- I knew there was a mall in the housing estate. Pretty disappointing mall! Biggest store was the Park n Shop. Kind of...nothing. The whole area was not much and I was really surprised since plenty of people live there. And my standards are pretty low because pretty much anywhere has more happening than Peng Chau so I am typically happy with what I find.

Maybe it will change now that there is an MTR stop...

If I were working from home it would be too boring, nowhere really to go out for lunch or just wander around looking in the window... if you were working in an office in more of a business district, I would say, fine, it's a nice place to come home to at night.

Maybe it will change now that there is an MTR stop...
    Don't get your hopes up. The mall is a very confusing mix of businesses and shows a clear lack of planning. This is what the mall owners did about 5 years ago.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...t-tourist-mall
    MABinPengChau likes this.

It's full of businesses you don't usually find in large malls like maid agencies, flat decorators, tutor centers, and property agencies. Not a lot of actual shopping you can do- just Japan Home Centre and Aeon (12 dollar store, "Living Plaza" or whatever it's called- quite a large one).

I wouldn't want a Pacific Place either but are there any just ordinary shops and maybe food that isn't McDonald's and KFC...

Just a strange mall...

I like in Ap Lei Chau Lei Tung MTR side so i am quite familiar with the area

As others mentioned, it is a rather sub-urban, local area. It is quite convenient from Lei Tung MTR to my office in Central. Even during peak hours, I never had any trouble with the trains at Admiralty.

There is actually a small football pitch and basketball courts behind the main street - I see people playing there - unsure how to book. No swimming pool nearby - the nearest one is at Wong Chuk Hang and it is outdoor unfortunately.

There is a new Western coffee shop along the main road that is OK. No Starbucks on ALC Main Street.

Certainly no need to go to South Horizon to do anything as they have ParknShop, Uselect, Wellcome all along the street.

But I do agree that it is a bit quieter than KT with less F&B options - for a young person - KT is probably better in my view. But I like the Lei Tung area given the convenience on public transport + cheaper rents.

shri likes this.

No idea about Ap Lei Chau but Kennedy Town ticks all your boxes. Have just moved here myself, love it. Also play football here (there is a group on Facebook constantly arranging games). I found a great agent after going through about 5 or 6. If you want hooked up with the agent, let me know. Exclusive to Kennedy Town though.

Original Post Deleted
    I will message you the building name. My budget was circa 30k, I looked at Manhattan Heights, Merton and all the other similar buildings around there. Initially the Merton and Manhattan Heights were my target buildings but after viewing a few different ones, I found a few buildings that were much better value and renovations were head and shoulders above Manhattan Heights and Merton - I found both of them to be quite dated inside the apartments and very odd layouts. I viewed 3-4 apartments in both the Merton and Manhattan Heights (right next to it).

There are some hidden gems around Kennedy Town which may not have the facilities of the Merton / Manhattan Heights but still have the security guard and flats are very nicely furnished inside. I will message you the building I moved into and the agents name/contact details if you want to shout him. When I let him know my requirements he was refreshing in not showing me any sketchy places, everywhere he showed me was close to the mark. He is also connected with all the other agents in the area and will happily just split the commission with them to get you the best flat (this is what he ended up doing for me). His English isn't the best but he can get by, if you have Chinese skills that would be useful here.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Went to Ap Lei Chau the other day for a hair cut and the only option in the $60 range was "1".
    You didn't look carefully enough There are at least 3 <= $60. For eating there's Saizeriya (don't care what anyone says, I love it), a couple of good Thai restaurants on main street, plus a great selection of chandlery shops. A decent hill for hiking. But not much else tbh.