Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

28, Single - How is Ap Lei Chau with the new MTR

28, Single - How is Ap Lei Chau with the new MTR

Hello Forum,

I have finally managed to get the relocation (most likely from August) that I mentioned in my previous thread.
    The salary negotiation ended up quite well as well, and the base salary is going to be a little higher than expected, so it is now to look for a place.

My company will pay for 15 days hotel, however I have been to Hong Kong probably tens of times, and I already know the area where I want to live.

So:
    - Single
    - I usually go clubbing once a week and go out for dinner once a week, almost always on the Island
    - Do sports (football or basket) usually on the Island or within Kowloon side
    - Work from home.
    - Go twice to Mandarin class in Wan Chai
    Taxi for my meetings is always paid back and forth, and I can expect to have meetings pretty much everywhere, but mainly concentrated in TKO, Wanchai and northern Kowloon.

I need either a big one bedroom or a two bedroom flat, at least 400 sq ft in side (so I can put a proper desk into it).
    Maximum 25,000HKD.
    Recently I have been looking at places in Kennedy, Sai Ying Pun and Sheung Wan, but I have decided that I definitely do not like Sheung Wan and I would consider Kennedy, Say Ying Pun, HKU etc.

Today, quite surprisingly, a friend of mine told me about a place in H Bonaire, Ap Lei Chau, that is gonna be free exactly when I need it, and that goes away with 24k.
    80% space efficiency, or close to that, two bedrooms, high floor and sea view.

I never, ever considered Ap Lei Chau, but it seems with the new MTR you are literally < 10m from admiralty, and the quality of living is much better than southern Kowloon.

What do you guys think about it?
    Any opinions?
    I saw some thread but were pretty old, I was considering mainly whether it would be an issue to come back home that night or two I go clubbing (I have friends who live in NT that always have to fight to find a taxi willing to bring them home after 1AM).

Like I have been told that is far away, but how can it be?
    It's 10 minutes MRT, 15 minutes cab drive if you avoid peak times to central, you can still go out and party and drinks and come back home probably with less than 150HKD of a cab drive, and seems quite decent to be in, with several supermarkets etc...

I was in Sheung wan to see a flat, and looking at the traffic (and was 2PM) I thought I do not wanna end up in there.

Thanks!

Last edited by derecktan; 09-06-2019 at 12:43 AM.

There is almost never a problem getting a taxi within HK Island after a night out.

ALC location is convenient with the MTR but it’s a very local very family filled area. The coolest coffee shop is Starbucks. You’re not going to have the greatest time hanging out in your own neighborhood.

From what you say of your lifestyle you’d enjoy Kennedy Town more.

Kowloon Goon, shri, spode and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    There is almost never a problem getting a taxi within HK Island after a night out.
    Unless you want to go cross-harbour, and then you're fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    That’s why I said within HK Island...

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Bullocks, I can easily grab a taxi back to NT. Now if you act all foreigner talking to the cab through his window then he's going to be selective (and probably negotiate a higher fare too!). Plenty of times I just get in the cab and mention my destination, never without a problem. If so then I would tell the cab we can go to the police station to report his offense. Grow up and get some balls.
    civil_servant likes this.

I never, ever considered Ap Lei Chau, but it seems with the new MTR you are literally < 10m from admiralty, and the quality of living is much better than southern Kowloon.
    Have you ever done the transfer at Admiralty station? I haven't and I don't ever plan to.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    Have you ever done the transfer at Admiralty station? I haven't and I don't ever plan to.
    Good point. It’s a long one.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    Bullocks, I can easily grab a taxi back to NT. Now if you act all foreigner talking to the cab through his window then he's going to be selective (and probably negotiate a higher fare too!). Plenty of times I just get in the cab and mention my destination, never without a problem. If so then I would tell the cab we can go to the police station to report his offense. Grow up and get some balls.
    Negotiate a fare? Laughing out loud. Don't know how you take taxi's in HK but that's not how normal people do it.

And you're talking bollocks if you think that's no problem to get cross harbour taxis late at night. Yes, you can fight and make a twat of yourself if that's what floats your boat, again normal people don't want the hassle especially late at night after a few beers.

I do not negotiate a fare but plenty of foreigners do, pay $100 extra to get in a cab and to a HK side destination. Have seen it. I would never do it. It's that poor expat culture that is sending ripples to everyone else. Again I just get in a cab and never had an issue to get to my destination. It is my legal right to be taken where I request and how I request to get there.

Thank you guys.
    A few considerations after the messages.

Taxi: as long as I can take them without too much hassle, so without having to ask to 20 different drivers after a night out, I am good.
    Price wise seems reasonable, and apparently I should be able to stay within 150HKD per ride and I am ok like that.

Ap Lei Chau Services: I understand it is a local area, and might target families.
    However, as long as it is well served by supermarkets and might have a few restaurants and coffee, I am good.
    I am not sure about this thing of "living the neighbourhood" like what am I supposed to do? Walk in the street, end up in bars, saying high to people?

My friends live all in Happy Valley (but like 30 minutes walk from the MRT), Wan Chai, one guy in Sai Kun, one in LKF so anyway when we meet we tend to meet in central, where I would never live.
    If I would live in Kennedy Town, I would have to take either the ding ding or the MTR, which kinda of makes it the same as if I am in Lei Tung, no?

Maybe would be complicated to get deliveroo and food deliveries there in Lei Tung, but if there is a decent number of restaurants (even locals) and enough supermarket and maybe a couple of bars for the breakfast, I am ok.

Commuting time is not important since my office is my home, is just about reach central / wanchai quickly for my party night-dinner with friends - mandarin class, and not be too far from Kowloon if I play football or basketball in there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast