Like Tree14Likes

28, Single - How is Ap Lei Chau with the new MTR

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

There is almost never a problem getting a taxi within HK Island after a night out.

ALC location is convenient with the MTR but it’s a very local very family filled area. The coolest coffee shop is Starbucks. You’re not going to have the greatest time hanging out in your own neighborhood.

From what you say of your lifestyle you’d enjoy Kennedy Town more.

Kowloon Goon, shri, spode and 1 others like this.

Original Post Deleted
    That’s why I said within HK Island...

Original Post Deleted
    Bullocks, I can easily grab a taxi back to NT. Now if you act all foreigner talking to the cab through his window then he's going to be selective (and probably negotiate a higher fare too!). Plenty of times I just get in the cab and mention my destination, never without a problem. If so then I would tell the cab we can go to the police station to report his offense. Grow up and get some balls.
    civil_servant likes this.

I never, ever considered Ap Lei Chau, but it seems with the new MTR you are literally < 10m from admiralty, and the quality of living is much better than southern Kowloon.
    Have you ever done the transfer at Admiralty station? I haven't and I don't ever plan to.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Have you ever done the transfer at Admiralty station? I haven't and I don't ever plan to.
    Good point. It’s a long one.

I do not negotiate a fare but plenty of foreigners do, pay $100 extra to get in a cab and to a HK side destination. Have seen it. I would never do it. It's that poor expat culture that is sending ripples to everyone else. Again I just get in a cab and never had an issue to get to my destination. It is my legal right to be taken where I request and how I request to get there.

Kennedy town will be much closer to western food options. Ap lei chau can have traffic headaches on that bridge or the tunnel if there is an accident. It will be more local food and local food choices at the supermarket. Depends how open minded you are to eating local food. I consider myself very open minded (food wise), I eat at local restaurants often, but then again at home I just sometimes want my own type of snacks. A lot of Wellcome supermarkets around me, I don't even like. I just go to jasons/marketplace. Park n shop is hit or miss.

H Bonaire is a short walk to the MTR, although the exit is pretty far from the platform itself, I'm sure you'll manage to walk it.

The area is very local: butcher, supermarket, clothing shops, no bars. The mall at South Horizon is just a station away if you need more shopping choices. Wong Chuk Hang, an upcoming arty area (by HK standards) is only 1 stop in the other direction, there are more and more offices popping up there and you might get a better western style restaurant choice.

In terms of commuting, the transfer at Admiralty isn't that long, still much shorter than the walk between Tung Chung and Island Lines at Central. However getting on a train towards Tsuen Wan may be problematic at times.

IMO it's a nice and rather quiet area and since Hong Kong is Hong Kong, if you want to go somewhere for a meal or to meet friends, it'll never be far.

since, like you said, you literally work from home, then commuting is not a problem and admiraty station would not be your bottleneck..
    other than during working peak hours (morning 8.30 and 5.30~7pm at night) the station is fine..

Original Post Deleted
    It's not really the local-ness that's the issue. Ap Lei Chau is quite a "suburban" area in HK standards. The shops and restaurants cater to middle/working class families. The most buzzing spot in the shopping center in South Horizons is the KFC.

Sheung Wan is also fairly local but you have a variety of dim sum, cha chaan tengs, milk/fruit tea, egg waffles etc.

IMO you'll find Ap Lei Chau boring especially if you're working from home so you'll be there a lot.
    TheBrit likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast