Like Tree5Likes

where to stay and how much it cost

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

where to stay and how much it cost

Hi,

I recently got a job at HKU. looking to rent a room. budget is max6000/mth. which area or place should i stay.prefer if it includes utilities.how much will i need to spend for transportation per month?
    im not looking for a luxury life.Just a basic place place to rent.thanks

HKU don't offer you a room, or suggestions to place your weary bones at the end of a workday??

how much will i need to spend for transportation per month?

Well, of course that really depends on how far you CHOSE to live away from HKU !
    HK has excellent public transport services & quite cheap {when one compares Western transport prices}.

I would suggest that you look around Sai Ying Poon - just down the hill from HKU, I see some adverts for that area fairly often - and then work outwards from there.

My Chinese wife's niece (coming from Hongcouver) quickly found a "share a flat" within walking distance of HKU, and close to two Chinese "Wet Markets" too.

You don't specify your Nationality - so if you expect to reside in a European area at your suggested price - I think you will struggle.

YMMV [of course]

Shared apartments with graduate students in and around Kennedy Town might be your best option.

Research older buildings in Aberdeen, Chi Fu, Pok Fu Lam, Kennedy Town, Sai Ying Pun, Sheung Wan, Western districts - which are all within 10-15 minute commute. See if your uni has guidance that it gives you grad students... or a shared apartment list.

MandM! likes this.

at $6000 per month, you are looking at a sub-divided unit at Shek Tong Tsui..

MandM! likes this.

malaysian here
    i dont need european style accomodation
    i just need a room that is close to a mtr station for easy travel
    pls advise
    is hkd6000 enough to live in a decent place?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nivek2046
    at $6000 per month, you are looking at a sub-divided unit at Shek Tong Tsui..

Nah.. you can find older walkups and shared units in pretty much all the districts I've listed.

You really need to explain what decent means to you for a meaningful answer. Space, light/view, noise level tolerance etc. For me the answer would be a giant no, but everything is relative...

By yourself within easy commute to HKU - probably no, unless you get lucky with an older building / walk up.

Best bets are to look for shared units - ask your uni if they can provide some support.

You can book yourself in a nice female dorm at a place like Mojo Nomad in Aberdeen (2 / 3 buses that go to HKU - 20 min bus ride) and explore the area. 15 days will set you back about 3-5K HKD in a shared dorm. This will give you some time to explore the area and visit the really local estate agents (+ if you speak some canto or find a canto speaker to go with you) who will show you properties. The western / expat / larger chain agencies might not be bothered in the 6K range.

https://www.mojonomad.com/aberdeen/

how far are willing to commute, the further away, better and bigger than place will be, near HK uni expect small 120 sq ft room, with limited or no direct sunlight, probably 3 or 4 storey walk up, but if you willing to travel further, you can get a place twice the size

shri likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast