Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By er2

$25 - $35k best value areas on/near HK island

$25 - $35k best value areas on/near HK island

Hello,

I'm moving to Hong Kong and will begin the flat hunt when I arrive.

I have been through various threads on this forum, but wanted comments specific to my requirements.

Budget: $25 - $35k
    size: 2 bedrooms, 450 - 700sqft
    neighbourhood - preferably Hong Kong island or closeby, max 30 min commute to central
    facilities - would be nice, but understand difficult at that budget

I'm specifically looking for reasonably quiet neighbourhoods with good access to central/some greenery and a decent restaurant/coffee shop selection.

What areas would you recommend that are good value for this budget/requirements?

Thanks!

er2

I'm sure you'll find a bunch of standard suggestions here very soon, but some less common options:
    - Mui Wo / Lamma - island life and 30 minutes on the ferry
    - Lam Tin: Sceneway Garden or Laguna City. Easily doable in 30 mins and you will find nice 700 sqft places for 25k
    - Whampoa Gardens: 20 minutes to Central on the train, excellent food and watering holes (although you won't see many expats around). ~30k

shri likes this.

With the range that you've given, you'll have a LOT of options, specially if you don't have kids and the facilities are an optional requirement.

Most or majority of the currently listed apartments (and they're all across town) will fit your requirements.

https://geoexpat.com/classifieds/apartments/for-rent

Harbour place in Hung hom bay, 5 minutes walk to promenade, 6 minutes walk to whampoa station, swimming pool both outdoor and indoor, gym, quiet area as well, walking distance to whampoa with lots of restaurants and coffee shops, 3 Min walk to Starbucks in Kerry hotel, 30mins to central via MTR.

For that budget, you can find something decent on the island itself. Look into Tin Hau or Star Street area in Wanchai.

Thanks so much for the recommendations - Tin Hau was on my radar. Shri, to be more specific, I suppose I’m looking for something central perhaps with a view onto some greenery / the ocean, in a quiet neighbourhood and a bit more space than 400sqft. What I would like to avoid is paying through the nose for a tiny flat that is noisy and looks out onto another building. That’s not a price I’m willing to pay to be central. So I guess my question, is what areas are reasonably central and fit my requirements? Thanks again

It's not really so much an area- it is really down to flat-by-flat for what you are looking for- an area or even one building may have beautiful or awful views, depending on the flat. Same with noise. A lot of the online pics will show the view and you can also bring the building up on the map and check out how near it is to major roads.

The only guaranteed quiet neighborhoods are outlying islands, with no motorized traffic.

Thanks - again I think think you can point to areas, as for example I'm sure you are far more likely to find what i'm looking for given my budget in Kennedy Town rather than mid-levels. Although I take your point regarding searching on a flat by flat basis.

By 'quiet' (obviously this is relative in Hong Kong!) I was referring more to the neighbourhood in general rather than the flat, for example I would imagine Happy Valley is a lot more quiet and less foot traffic compared to Wanchai. The same goes for greenery/ocean views/space - which areas am I more likely to find decent views/more space for my budget, and that are relatively close to central.

Thanks!

Noise is a tricky thing in HK. You could be living in a fairly quiet area and all of a sudden a new building project starts, or the neighbors start to renovate their flat - and the silence is gone for 1 year.

Some areas I would look at: Kennedy Town, Sai Ying Pun, older building above Sheung Wan. Conduit Road with Mountain View if you want to "get away" from the city.

Discovery Bay.