Like Tree7Likes

To give notice after a Tenancy Agreement has expired (asking as a tenant)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks for your reply. That is how we understand it works as well, but I find it confusing with the term 'calendar month'.

Thank you very much. But I'm still not sure how to interpret 'calendar month'. Can I assume that if we give notice on the 3rd August, we shall pay rent to the 3rd September?
    Or does it mean we can only give notice on or before the date the payment is due (which according to our expired contract is the 1st in each month). So that would mean we would have to pay for the whole of August plus for the whole of September?
    So what does 'calendar month' actually mean?

<snip>

Quote Originally Posted by CamillaHK
    Thanks for your reply. That is how we understand it works as well, but I find it confusing with the term 'calendar month'.
    One calendar month means a month.
    HK Interpretation And General Clause Ordinance
    https://www.elegislation.gov.hk/hk/c...zh-Hant-HK.pdf

Name:  31C34F4B-A8D9-4F3E-AFA5-3237354A6004.png
Views: 158
Size:  641.5 KB

Thank you very much. But I'm still not sure how to interpret 'calendar month'. Can I assume that if we give notice on the 3rd August, we shall pay rent to the 3rd September?
    Or does it mean we can only give notice on or before the date the payment is due (which according to our expired contract is the 1st in each month). So that would mean we would have to pay for the whole of August plus for the whole of September?
    is your landlord/landlady a local Chinese person?

If yes, you should just simply pick up the phone and say something nice.

Most local people (especially those over the age of 50) do not require 100% strict compliance with the contract.

Saying thank you and something nice will very likely works.

Of course its the former. Do you think people only ever leave their apartments on the same day of the month they pay their rent? Is this the first time you've ever rented an apartment?!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2