Like Tree45Likes

5 days in December - 26th -31st.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Avoid chungking and Mirador... Rat infested shitholes for begpackers.

ScottyBGud, Skyhook and AliT like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBGud:
    For three adults and 2 kids it going to be 2 rooms and £1700+. Even if it was half that it would be more than our budget
    Have you checked ticket prices for three adults and two kids to visit Disney? Almost $3000 HKD for a day!

Maybe change your tickets and visit HK when it is not the peak of peak season!
    chuckster007 likes this.

Camping in Hong Kong is free.

There are plenty of Airbnb for your price range in Kowloon side aka also in the city area but it wont be like staying in a hotel, no breakfast incl

Perfect for sleeping and travelling around touring HK. Disney you will have to do in 1 day as the ticket prices are NOT cheap as said by emx above. Visit ocean park as well.

look at using Klook app or website for buying tickets to tourist stuff in HK, cheaper than buying tickets at the door.

HK is NOT cheap for hotels. avoid Chunking mansion like the plague .

ScottyBGud and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Have you checked ticket prices for three adults and two kids to visit Disney? Almost $3000 HKD for a day!

Maybe change your tickets and visit HK when it is not the peak of peak season!
    Fortunately I have.

HK$3,227 for 3 adults and 2 children.
    Hong Kong Disneyland “2-Day Fun” Special Package
    - 2-Day Ticket, valid for visit on any 2 days within a 7-day period (first visit must be on or before December 31, 2019)

Perhaps it was ignorant of me to not know that this period would be the "peak of peak". It seems odd to me that it would be. Hong Kong is not a Christian nation and their new year is on the 25th of January so the 25th and 31st of December should be normal days.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Camping in Hong Kong is free.
    Really? What are the requirements?

For the budget that you have specified you should be able to get a 3 Star hotel that has an vacant rooms in December still.. Have a look on www.booking.com and see what you can get for 3 adults and 2 children.
    The Wharney GuangDong hotel is usually good for the price but you'll have to see what they have during the days you plan to visit. Also hotels can also organise a hotel mini bus to collect you from the airport and return too.

Your biggest problem will be getting a room at that time of year, so If they have anything available now, book it!

Area's you want to stay in for convenience reasons would be Causeway Bay and Wanchai area's ( on Hong Kong Island right in the thick of the city) for your 5 day base, and take it from there. You'll be close to the Mass Transit Railway, The Peak Tram for great views, 19th century Trams and double decker buses. I wouldnt recommend Chung King Mansions or Mirador Mansions with kids in tow, unless you're a bit Bohemian and enjoy ( 'HK' really basic /cramped accommodation ) which wont be pretty or nice.

https://www.booking.com/searchresult..._age_message=1

Also remember to bring some mild winter ( 10 - 18 degrees C ) clothing, jumpers/long sleeves, as it will be winter in Hong Kong as you travel from summer in Western Australia.

Perhaps it was ignorant of me to not know that this period would be the "peak of peak". It seems odd to me that it would be. Hong Kong is not a Christian nation and their new year is on the 25th of January so the 25th and 31st of December should be normal days.
    But the UK is/was a "Christian nation" and that rubbed off on HK- about half of HK education is in Christian (mainly Catholic and Episcopal) schools. A quick check online reveals that both December 25 and 26 are public holidays. Don't know the exact statistics but probably about 30 percent of the population practice some form of Christianity and more than that hold some level of Christian belief. Also the fact that it is a popular, English-speaking tourist city makes it a destination for those who do celebrate Christmas. Also schools are out and schools in many other countries are out. Then there is New Year which has a nice fireworks display so people are attracted to come for that.

Fortunately I have.

HK$3,227 for 3 adults and 2 children.
    Hong Kong Disneyland “2-Day Fun” Special Package
    - 2-Day Ticket, valid for visit on any 2 days within a 7-day period (first visit must be on or before December 31, 2019)

I am a bit concerned that you might be surprised at the cost of food given you thought Hong Kong was like other SE Asian countries. How much have you budgeted for daily spend?

Really? What are the requirements?
    As much as I love the outdoors here and camping, I actually have never camped in Hong Kong. December is generally a good time to camp, though, as it's dry with cooler weather (not to hot and sticky).

The Agriculture and Fishers Conservation Department (AFCD) has many campsites across Hong Kong and you just show up and pitch your tent. It's not like "car camping" sites in the US or Japan -- rather basic, but free. There's varying levels of facilities, but usually always water (hmm, maybe non-drinking water)... Maybe someone with more experience can chime in on a good family-friendly one close to transportation links? On weekends popular ones can be very crowded, but it's an interesting "festive" feeling (almost like if a skyscraper went camping...heh).

How your stuff can stay secure while you're out during the day, I don't know. Except, Hong Kong is very safe and theft I think is unlikely. Maybe you could rent a car or rely on taxis since you're saving on a hotel? (But you can't take a rental car to south Lantau as far as I know.)

https://www.afcd.gov.hk/english/coun...s_cam_cam.html

https://www.lcsd.gov.hk/en/camp/camp..._campsite.html

The Pui O (beach) campsite run by the LCSD is maybe your best bet, because it's a beach it will have showers (all LCSD beaches have some kind of shower/toilet facilities). It's a 10-15 min. walk to a bus stop that will take you directly to the MTR (~20-30 mins bus ride) and not too far from Disney. Isn't some shop in this area renting out tents? Or is that for illegal camping on the beach?

Butterfly Beach (LCSD) might also be good, but I'm unfamiliar with the area -- there should be some buses into town nearby). @HK_Katherine can maybe tell you if the transport links there are any good for a family.

Another campsite nearby is Nam Shan (#27 on the campsite map), and it's also close to the bus, but it doesn't have a shower: https://www.afcd.gov.hk/english/coun...7_NamShan.html

The public toilets in Hong Kong are generally in good condition and clean (except in overused beaches on weekends).

Small note just in case this may bother you -- there have been comments that some popular campsites are overused by mainland tourists who also want free accommodation in the city. I have no idea how true this is.

I think there are some other privately-operated (possibly dodgy legal status) camping options, but I'm not finding them...

Hong Kong property is the world's most expensive. While in places it may look like it, it is not like other southeast Asian places. Actually, I think unless you're really broke or really outdoorsy (i.e. love taking your camping gear with you), camping probably would be a bit of a headache for your family. But it is beautiful here...
    Last edited by Elegiaque; 07-08-2019 at 10:26 AM.