Like Tree14Likes

Old Building in Wanchai or Fancy Condo in Shaukeiwan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Old Building in Wanchai or Fancy Condo in Shaukeiwan

Hello,

I am finally in Hong Kong since a few weeks, and I am looking actively at places.
    My choice has been restricted to two flats:

- One is a renovated flat (renovation finished last week, entire flat has been renovated) in Queens Road East, in Wanchai, in a very old mansion/estate.
    The flat is a big 1 bedroom flat, about 500 sq ft.
    First floor, everything is new, from the Windows, to the Door, to the floor, etc...

- One is a 2 bedroom flat in Shaukeiwan, in Lime Gala.
    Facing the mountain, so not facing the main street, mid-floor (15), and completely new.
    Nobody has ever lived inside.
    The building is unbelievable: two pools (indoor and outdoor), two gym, bbq pits, zen gardens, clubhouse with darts and pool, meeting rooms, party rooms, Karaoke rooms, Sauna, etc...
    Commuting to the office, being CWB, is around 18 minutes

The price for the both is identical: 25,000HKD.
    Lime Gala will have a little bit more of expenses at the end because you have to pay for the Gym and Pool, but the landlord has agreed to pay for that, so I think ideally it is the same.

I speak English and I speak (bad) Mandarin, so even thought I cannot deal with Cantonese, I am able to get around Shaukeiwan quite ok even though my reading is bad.

I am almost 30, and my social life is about going to football in Happy Valley, Mandarin in LKF, and office CWB.

What would be your call?
    I do not go out much during the week evenings (and anyway I am in town already due to work and Mandarin or Soccer), and do not enjoy pubs and places like that - I like to club over the weekend.
    That is pretty much it.

why do you even need to think of it if you're not a party head then why bother with Wan Chai with a shitty old building on 1st floor. Move up in the world to 15th floor lol

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner
    :

2 bedroom flat in Shaukeiwan, in Lime Gala.

Wanchai: What is the day / night time noise like? If the apartment is anywhere near a major road, expect noise and also fumes from the traffic and in the short term some amount of other pollutants.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007
    why do you even need to think of it if you're not a party head then why bother with Wan Chai with a shitty old building on 1st floor. Move up in the world to 15th floor lol

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner
    :
    Haha This is true.
    It is because I sometimes feel I would be "cut out" from certain things, but it is probably more psychological than anything.

I have three nights per week occupied by Football and School, I already go out on Friday and Sat.
    So I would not even have time to party more than that haha

It is on Queens Road East, so there is a bit of traffic.
    There is noise when you go out of the flat, but manageable - The windows are new and with windows closed the noise inside the house is OK to be in that location.

Quote Originally Posted by derecktan
    It is on Queens Road East, so there is a bit of traffic.
    There is noise when you go out of the flat, but manageable - The windows are new and with windows closed the noise inside the house is OK to be in that location.
    Pollution fromt the 24/7 traffic might be bad. Just saying...

It's entirely personal preference. My concern is that you feel these are the only two on offer, considering there are hundreds of thousands of flats out there!

check both at night, you might find one is mini bus night parking under your window

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    It's entirely personal preference. My concern is that you feel these are the only two on offer, considering there are hundreds of thousands of flats out there!
    I have seen about 20-30 flats, but I could not find anything up to a certain standard.
    I have seen some "you just need to move in with your suitcase!" ads and it was a big of a joke, I would never live in those without a major renovation or entirely new furniture.
    Other places that were "very spacious" and had rooms where literally my bed was touching the wall from three sides (The Zenith in Wanchai).
    Others on top of the Ding Ding.

Basically amongst the all one I found, only four were "great":
    - One in WanChai in QRE
    - One in the Zenith (but a bit oldish look)
    - One in Ap Lei Chau in H Bonaire (but now my office is in CWB)
    - One in Lime Gala - where quality you get for the price is really high, the condo has standards as high as SG, just smaller haha

Right now I am near Sai Wan Ho and I like here a lot too.
    I was thinking about looking at Grand Promenade, but seems ageing fast as well :/

(I am not open to NT and Kowloon side - even though seems Kai Tak offers nice solutions).

completely new.
    Nobody has ever lived inside.
    After re-reading your post, when you say completely new, you mean the whole building is new and people are only starting to move in??

If the above questions answer is YES, then you should for your life unless you like to hear 8 hrs of drilling and banging for 6 days a week for a few months as every Wong / Chan / Lam etc will be having their house redecorated
    JAherbert and HK_Katherine like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast