Like Tree15Likes

Lease renewal norms

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

on a personal note (or my mini BDW rant)

I had rented a unit that had water leaks due to negligence on the part of the landlord. Despite documentation and pleas from me, the problem was never addressed. So in the second year of the contract, I exercised the break clause. It was only AFTER GIVING NOTICE that the landlord offered to address the water leaks . As I had already found a new place to live, I left (and lost some money as I had to spend time and money moving earlier than expected) and the landlord lost some guaranteed second year rent ( and maybe had some time when the unit is empty)

jgl and bdw like this.

Of course the landlord wants to secure a 12 month fixed contract. However if OP pushes for a six month fixed contract, the landlord may just take it unless they have other people lined up to rent. It's extra cost and effort to find a new tenant so usually it's avoided, but since the OP is showing to the landlord that he/she is going to move out anyway (and it seems like that's what's going to happen), then if landlord has a longer lease tenant waiting, why not let OP leave and rent out to a longer lease tenant? Market condition is one thing to consider as well and who knows 6 months later if it will be better or worse.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3