Like Tree11Likes

Child at school in Lam Tin, husband working in Tuen Mun - where to live?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Living near or on MTR stations is convenient, and also near large shopping malls convenient too, since I assume it'll be a while before you venture to local foods. Hong Kong Island is out of the question due to distance. Kowloon Tong is a nice neighborhood with a good amount of expats etc. Especially the quiet low density neighborhood. If I was your husband I would choose to live closer to work to avoid the commute. Daughter at least can avoid the traffic when she is getting off school. Gold Coast is not very convenient though and you might have to consider driving. If it was your choice I would say a central point like Kowloon Tong is good since it's convenient for all parties and is close to a lot of things.

imparanoic likes this.

It's hard to know how long these protests will go on for, but they are affecting the MTR. But much less so the buses. So planning a place with bus options (probably in addition to MTR) would be sensible.

On the whole I would say err closer to the childs school than the husbands work and close to the school bus route as noted above. Kowloon Kong is nice. Hung Hom is mostly horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    It's hard to know how long these protests will go on for, but they are affecting the MTR. But much less so the buses. So planning a place with bus options (probably in addition to MTR) would be sensible.

On the whole I would say err closer to the childs school than the husbands work and close to the school bus route as noted above. Kowloon Kong is nice. Hung Hom is mostly horrible.
    hung hom bay is nice, lovely promenade with 5 mins walk, whampoa side is decent, only old hung hom side isn't that great, btw, buses can be really delayed by traffice, my wife was giving birth to my son in 2012 and i made bad choice listening to her aunty who said the bus from kowloon tong to st teresa hospital was quick at around 15 mins as i could not find any taxi in kowloon tong at 8.30am, it wasn't, waited 10 mins and then it took bloody 40mins weaving around lok fu then going into kowloon city before arriving the hospital, i should off caught the red mini bus from mk near sincere podium/sin tat which takes 7 mins over the bridge, eventually i arrived the hospital and my wife was carted off to operating theatre at the moment, from then onwards, never took any bus advice from my aunty
    shri and AsianXpat0 like this.

Many kids from our neighbourhood (southern part of HK + HK island) commute to Kowloon Bay everyday.

In our observation - bus fees will be high.

Kids as they grow older, don't want to be on the bus with the younger kids and get into their own after school rituals (ECAs, go for a meal etc etc) and prefer to then get on public transport (Bus / Minibus / MTR). This is common with both kids who have grown up in HK and newcomers.

Also parents form their own networks and carpool.

A few families pool together and get a taxi or private van / mini and still come out cheaper than the school bus.

Don't have any specific recommendations but don't plan a long lease based on the school location. You might find that it is easier to commit to the two way bus to start with and then once your kid makes friends they get on a one way schedule (public transport back home) and eventually end up being on the public transport both ways.

imparanoic likes this.

I don't think there have been many MTR disruptions during school hours on weekdays.

Assuming your child will attend Nord Anglia, I would contact the school and ask if they know where there are large concentrations of students living. That way there will most likely be a school bus from that building and also older children who make their way on public transportation in a small group. Being new in HK it will be good for your child to initially not have to navigate MTR or bus on her own.

imparanoic and shri like this.

I can't contribute much as I don't know most the areas mentioned, but you mentioned Kowloon Tong in your OP. I've walked around there a bunch of times, and whilst it looks convenient on a map, thought it would be a pretty horrible place to live- no facilities or open spaces, everything is concrete and asphalt, all housing is trapped behind walls so the roads feel like a concrete maze.

By all means check it out, but don't dedicate too much time to it and explore further afield. Perhaps over the mountain towards Shatin, but again, I have never lived around there either.

imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    I can't contribute much as I don't know most the areas mentioned, but you mentioned Kowloon Tong in your OP. I've walked around there a bunch of times, and whilst it looks convenient on a map, thought it would be a pretty horrible place to live- no facilities or open spaces, everything is concrete and asphalt, all housing is trapped behind walls so the roads feel like a concrete maze.

By all means check it out, but don't dedicate too much time to it and explore further afield. Perhaps over the mountain towards Shatin, but again, I have never lived around there either.
    Yau Yat Tsuen in kowloon tong is rather nice, low density not so high apartments, i bit like happy valley, only 5 mins walk to mtr
    jgl likes this.

lai chi kok's pacifica or mei foo sun chuen estate would be nice mid way point, close to west kowloon coridoor so it your husband drives, take around 25 mins to tuen mun or if he catches mtr, tsuen wan line intersects with west rail so it's only 25mins to tuen mun, more importantly, both places close to mtr and easy reach to lam tin, presumably 30mins journey

to be honest, took at all of these places and visit them in person with your family and see what's suitable for you and your family as well as your budget.

Yeah Nam Cheong Station would be good too. Easy to ride to Hong Kong Station to get your western food, and easy to get to Tuen Mun and same time to Lam Tin station. Both destinations are 38 minutes by MTR. But then the rent is high for Kowloon so you might only get a small flat.

Thanks so much to all of your for your help and advice. I’ll have a look at the recommended areas and see how we get i on. Thank you again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2