Like Tree11Likes

Child at school in Lam Tin, husband working in Tuen Mun - where to live?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Child at school in Lam Tin, husband working in Tuen Mun - where to live?

Hi. I am new to the forum, so apologies if I am posting this question in the wrong place. My husband is working in Tsuen Mun. My daughter starts school in Lam Tin in January. Any wise words on where would be a good place to live that would facilitate travel to both of these? Kowloon Tong looks good when I just look at the map, but I’m well aware that local knowledge is a million times more valuable than a map. Grateful for any thoughts or comments. Thank you.

Quick one to help others who know more about the area - what is your rental budget and how old is the daughter?

imparanoic likes this.

Thanks, Shri. My daughter is 13, and the budget is approx 40k

bdw

13 is already independent and my 14 yo son takes the MTR to/from school with his mates. So you have some flexibility here. For the husband, do you mean Tsuen Wan or Tuen Mun? For 40k budget, you have plenty of options so it really depends on other factors such as what size you are after, whether you prefer the city or nature, etc. I'm moving out of HK in a couple of months and I have 3 bedroom place about 8 minutes walk from Prince Edward (15 minutes from Olympic) I''m looking to rent out soon for under your budget

Hi BDW. Thanks for the reply. Yes, she is old enough to be independent but we are moving here from the Middle East where I drive her to school, as there was no public transport, so she will need to get her head around the MTR system in the beginning. But that’s not tricky Apologies re the misspelling - I meant Tuen Mun for where my husband is working. Your place sounds nice, but we are looking to move in early December. Thank you.

Last edited by Jillypots; 23-10-2019 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Spelling error

As you mention Lam Tin I assume your daughter is going to Nord Anglia. They run a school bus service from all over so might be worth checking out the routes on their website to help when checking out areas.

FWIW my 6yo gets the bus from Tai Hang (HK Island) to Lam Tin and back every day with no issues...

shri and East_coast like this.

Thanks so much, Firemin - this is helpful.

ybk

Tsuen wan also an option. Only 19 mins to Tuen Mun if you drive.

hung hom bay, some where like harbour place, 10 walk from Hung Hom station (via underpass and bridge), 38 mins train on west line to tuen mun, for your daughter, either mtr from whampoa station (5 mins walk) and 30 mins to lam tin station, number 15 bus from hung hom to lam tin, presumably 45 mins on bus,

clubhouse facilities, 5 mins walk to promemade, 5 mins walk to whamphoa area with restarants and a one or two bars, has gym and indoor and outdoor swimming pool facilities consider harbour place in hung hom place, you probably get 900 sq ft for HK$40k per month

if you plan to own a car and don't mind spending 5k on parking, consider kowloon tong, around 20-25 mins to tuen mun, but your daughter only 18 mins mtr from kowloon tong to lam tin,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast