Friend lost job but still has a lease

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

It's kind of silly to get panties in a bunch until having a discussion with the fellow...

From a landlords point of view, all I want to make sure is that I don't lose money. The deposit does that job and I won't waste time and effort trying to chase someone that defaults on a lease...Move on and get another tenant.

>> he won't be able to enter HK again until all debts have been settled.

Pin - Can you quote the law behind this? Civil and criminal issues are two different things. Where I stand, yes, you've violated terms of your contract if you walk away, but that does not make you a criminal.

I seriously don't see how you could get a court order to get Immigration to bar you from HK.

Happy to stand corrected, but I would also not want someone getting incorrect advice.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipH

this is also what ive been told by some Hongkong people. Not sure if that's really a possibility though
    Yup its true, One poster on here recently was allowed into HK but not allowed to leave until he paid his outstanding tax debts so something similar could happen.

So as myself and others have said just get your friend to speak to the landlord and tell him exactly whats going on.

>> until he paid his outstanding tax debts.

Evading taxes v/s not paying on a contract are two different issues.

Evading taxes might even be criminal and IRD would have some enforcement powers which include Immd from barring entry / exit. I know they can easily garnish wages etc.

Point me to something in the BLIS system which says you'll get barred from leaving or entering Hong Kong for breaching a civil contract ...

Jimbo / Pin, happy to buy you guys pints and shots all night long if you can show me some legal references that prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    >> until he paid his outstanding tax debts.

Evading taxes v/s not paying on a contract are two different issues.

Evading taxes might even be criminal and IRD would have some enforcement powers which include Immd from barring entry / exit. I know they can easily garnish wages etc.

Point me to something in the BLIS system which says you'll get barred from leaving or entering Hong Kong for breaching a civil contract ...

Jimbo / Pin, happy to buy you guys pints and shots all night long if you can show me some legal references that prove me wrong.
    sorry shri, i got it the wrong way.

if a judgement is passed for owing debts and the person refuses to pay, a court can pass a judgement prohibiting the person from leaving Hong Kong. if that person does attempt to leave Hong Kong, they can be arrested.

i guess, that would be a case re being barred from leaving Hong Kong:

Cap 4 s 21B Prohibition on debtor leaving Hong Kong

>> a court can pass a judgement prohibiting the person from leaving
    >> Hong Kong

Can, so its not automatic.

Regardless, the best thing to do is to speak to the landlord. If he's like most others he's not informed his bank and he's not registered the lease.... doubt he'll go for the whole contract.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3