Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By chuckster007
  • 1 Post By huja
  • 2 Post By jgl
  • 1 Post By SannyJ

Just Another Advice Post...

Just Another Advice Post...

Hi Folks!

My husband, small dog and I are moving to HK at the end of July ( I know we have a bit of time) but we are totally lost on where to live (or even focus our search). My husband will be working in Aberdeen but is willing to do a 40 minute commute. We'd like to keep the budget under 18,000 a month and are super comfortable in a small one bedroom. We are both in our early thirties and love going out for fun dinners in the neighborhood or a drink but are not into partying. We've been recommended Stanley, Shuen Wan, Sai Ying Pun as well as Lamma Island. We are not super interested in Lamma Island because of the hassle of getting to work and accessibility to HK Island on weekends.

Open to all suggestions! Thanks in advance!

sheung wan, sai ying pun, kennedy town are good places to visit for apartment hunting. as usual, book a hotel or serviced apartment for the 1st month or so while apartment hunting.

Tips:

1. You will need to fork out 3.5 months of rental in one lump sum when you sign the contract
    2. dont look at the same apartment with different agents as they will all be entitled to commision if you agree to rent that apartment, keep track of what apartments you saw with which agent.

huja, silverframe202 and jgl like this.

you can look at m.28hse.com or facebook page "Desperately Seeking - Hong Kong (DSHK) Official" or "HONG KONG RENT (apartments and rooms for rent)"

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007
    1. You will need to fork out 3.5 months of rental in one lump sum when you sign the contract
    Man, I nearly choked when I saw the dollar figure it would take for me to move into my Wan Chai apartment in 2010.
    chuckster007 likes this.

Thanks all for the suggestions! My husband's job covers a hotel for 2 weeks, do you think that would be enough time or do you really think it requires a month's stay?

Does anyone have agents they would recommend or do you think we could do it on our own? I've seen others mention when moving with a dog it really requires an agent's help, is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by silverframe202
    Thanks all for the suggestions! My husband's job covers a hotel for 2 weeks, do you think that would be enough time or do you really think it requires a month's stay?

Does anyone have agents they would recommend or do you think we could do it on our own? I've seen others mention when moving with a dog it really requires an agent's help, is that true?
    2 weeks to get the lay of the land... that's a real stretch if you haven't been here extensively before (more background info from you would be really helpful). A month minimum, imo.

Real estate agents- it's really a matter of physically dropping into a load of agents in any one area. Seeing places on the day, or getting them to line up a whole series of places on another day.
    hongkong7 and silverframe202 like this.

I think you should also look around the Wanchai Admiralty area as there are trains and buses that go southside.

As for two weeks, it is doable, but will be tight. I recommend looking into a serviced apartment or similar that you can book on short notice should you not find something in the two weeks. I know I was doing some research aroudn wanchai, and you can get some serviced apartments for 16k a monht. They are not big, but will help you bridge the gapo until you find a place and help take the pressure off.

Also, hotels are very cheap at the moment as well, so you could consider that as well to tie you over should you not find anything in the two weeks.

silverframe202 likes this.

If he works in Aberdeen then Ap Lei Chai would make sense no?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    If he works in Aberdeen then Ap Lei Chai would make sense no?
    While it fits the no partying part, I struggle to think it's a great fit due to this request

"We are both in our early thirties and love going out for fun dinners in the neighborhood or a drink but are not into partying"

You could consider living on a house boat in Aberdeen.