Like Tree34Likes

Co-living in HK, is it worth it?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by AmyMi
    These are really negative takes guys, lol.
    Housing has been the number one issue in Hong Kong for decades. Added to that is the current political turmoil, COVID-19, and unsettled economy and it makes a for a half-glass-empty outlook. Better to prepare for the worst and hope for the best than be caught flat footed. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    My flat sharing days were some of the best times of my life- we either got along really well, or at the worst we got along okay and could still have decent conversation. I'm still in touch with several flatmates from decades ago.

This was the old fashioned version where you'd talk to people before someone moving in, which doesn't sound the same as this 'co-living' thing.
    Yes, I loved house sharing when I moved to London for the first time, and also still in contact with my mostly Kiwi ex-housemates. I'm not sure it would work so well in Hong Kong though, due to the smaller size and poorer quality construction of housing here. At least in London had a decent sized bedroom to myself, and a kitchen/lounge that happily accommodated four adults living independently. Not so sure most HK flats offer that - most aren't even comfortable for a family.
    jgl likes this.

jgl

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Yes, I loved house sharing when I moved to London for the first time, and also still in contact with my mostly Kiwi ex-housemates. I'm not sure it would work so well in Hong Kong though, due to the smaller size and poorer quality construction of housing here. At least in London had a decent sized bedroom to myself, and a kitchen/lounge that happily accommodated four adults living independently. Not so sure most HK flats offer that - most aren't even comfortable for a family.
    I caught up with one of my old HK flatmates in January- I haven't seen him for over a decade but we've kept in touch. Three of us shared a single floor of a village house. It was a total dive and I couldn't go back to living like that now, but we all have very fond memories of the time. Come to think of it, I was best man for the other flatmate.

I've done the shared flat thing on four continents. Had a blast every time.

I guess it depends on the stage of your life, and what sort of process you go through to choose your flatmates, but I feel like the shared flat thing was a rite of passage for many of my generation. Really can't empathise with the naysayers here, but maybe it was just luck of the draw.

I have lived alone and also with different roommates since moving here (a few times with one roommate and another time with two). For the most part, it seems you will be paying about the same as for a tiny studio but you will actually have a kitchen and living room.

There are a lot of upsides. More space, a kitchen, people to talk to, other people to help clean or talk to the landlord/handyman if there is a problem. In general I am a fan of it.

On the other hand, it really depends on the people you are living with. I have heard stories of not so great roommates. Not paying rent, slobs, loud at night, etc.

So far I have only lived with people with whom I had mutual friends, so I could trust that they would be decent people and I could ask my friends if they think we would be a good fit. Because that is a big consideration. Not all of your friends would make good roommates. You need to make sure that you have similar habits and standards when it comes to how you want to live.

I usually ask people if they are willing to do chores themselves (when adding a roommate once we even showed them our chore chart). For me, having a clean house is very important, and I also want to do it myself and not pay a cleaner. Some roommates agree to split the cost of a cleaner, and that’s fine for them. It’s also good to have similar ideas of having people over. If they want people over multiple times a week but you are a more quiet, private person, it might not work. Are you guys going to share food? Do you have opposite schedules? That could be ok, but if one of you is a super light sleeper it could be trouble. Got to figure out if you are compatible in those areas.

All that said, there are also benefits to living alone. You can do what you want (play music at midnight, decide to not mop the floor for a week, have people over anytime you want with no worries). So there is more freedom. So just need to decide what you want.

jgl, TheBrit and AmyMi like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3