Like Tree34Likes

Co-living in HK, is it worth it?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Read through a thread in the news section about coronavirus related unpaid leave and layoffs... Someone in that thread lives in one of those units... And is not having the best of times shutting down / exiting from the contract.

Perhaps someone on a desktop can point to to the relevant posts... My point being.. Be careful. A proper serviced apartment on a monthly contract might be a better option.

What age are you and how much do you share culturally with the other people you will be living with?

Why not look at the shared apartments in the classifieds.

https://geoexpat.com/classifieds/apartments/

MABinPengChau, rkenia852 and BCD like this.

- here's the post that I mentioned earlier.

https://geoexpat.com/forum/26/thread...ml#post3697701

AmyMi likes this.

Co living, or, in plain English, flat sharing, is always second best to having your own place.

Is flat sharing a common thing in the HK expat community? I was well past that phase of life by the time I sailed into the Fragrant Harbor.

Dash I think is a month by month basis. I mean, if your hotel is cheaper, then you might as well enjoy the better service and just hang out at the bar downstairs, although with the virus going around it'd be risky either way. Plus side, everyone looks more attractive with masks on!

rkenia852 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by orel100x:
    Co living, or, in plain English, flat sharing, is always second best to having your own place.
    Living with other people is just awful... unless they are also good looking, fit and considerate. Wouldn't be so bad, but more often than not, they are slobs who watch TV all day and come home wasted and playing bad music.

I would recommend staying away from any sharing platform and going directly with a short term hotel or serviced apartment. I'd rather live in a mini match box than share a matchbox with some strangers/ friends. Also, these co-living spaces are run by scammers who want to maximize income per sqft by taking over discounted leases and converting them into fire hazards.
    AsianXpat0 and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond:
    Living with other people is just awful... unless they are also good looking, fit and considerate. Wouldn't be so bad, but more often than not, they are slobs who watch TV all day and come home wasted and playing bad music.

I would recommend staying away from any sharing platform and going directly with a short term hotel or serviced apartment. I'd rather live in a mini match box than share a matchbox with some strangers/ friends.
    The above, with all due respect, is of course an opinion and possibly says more about how you see the world

Also, these co-living spaces are run by scammers who want to maximize income per sqft by taking over discounted leases and converting them into fire hazards.
    This I think is a clear fact. I've not done co-living but I have seen quite a few serviced apartments, and these companies are absolutely ruthless (I think Dash has some name to live down to but the others aren't much better).

Another idea: why not check AirBnB? This is generally a bit cheaper than a hotel, a bit more space than co-living/serviced apartment and certainly more comfortable, and most owners are a bit more sociable. The problem is often that you need some time to set up a longer term contract, but in the current economy that shouldn't be much of a problem.
    shri and AmyMi like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CharSiuNow:
    The above, with all due respect, is of course an opinion and possibly says more about how you see the world

This I think is a clear fact. I've not done co-living but I have seen quite a few serviced apartments, and these companies are absolutely ruthless (I think Dash has some name to live down to but the others aren't much better).

Another idea: why not check AirBnB? This is generally a bit cheaper than a hotel, a bit more space than co-living/serviced apartment and certainly more comfortable, and most owners are a bit more sociable. The problem is often that you need some time to set up a longer term contract, but in the current economy that shouldn't be much of a problem.
    Yes, I have learnt that certain types of people are more prone to dramas and behaviors courtesy of the hand they were dealt when brought into the world. If you get what I mean here.

Also, wanted to add here that airbnb is also full of the same predator/scammers. They have capital, but no cash flow, so it's all in short term property... since having a place to live is as important as having food and water on the needs scale.

The reality in Hong Kong is you will pay more than what the property is really worth. But this used to be a fair price considering the income and wealth growth opportunities that Hong Kong used to offer a decade or more ago. Now it's fully riding the property bubble which signifies a dead economy since so much capital and expenses go to it.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast