Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By TheRoadAhead

Unable to return to Hong Kong before rental lease expiry

Closed Thread

Unhappy Unable to return to Hong Kong before rental lease expiry

Hi,

My lease is set to expire at the end of June and I'm currently overseas, unable to return to Hong Kong as all international outbound flights are grounded. It is unclear when I'll be able to get back to Hong Kong and when I do I will be quarantined for at least 14 days. Just wanted to understand if it's possible to temporarily renew a rental lease online (e.g: for 3 months), as I am looking to move to another apartment when I return to HK.

Thanks in advance.

Your landlord will probably be happy to extend your lease month to month at current rate given COVID and protests situation.

If I were you I would break the lease and pay someone to get rid of your furniture or store it in the meantime ... nobody knows how long it will take before you can get back to Hong Kong ...

DimSumBond likes this.

Need apartment for 1 to -3 months

Quote Originally Posted by g_6:
    Hi,

My lease is set to expire at the end of June and I'm currently overseas, unable to return to Hong Kong as all international outbound flights are grounded. It is unclear when I'll be able to get back to Hong Kong and when I do I will be quarantined for at least 14 days. Just wanted to understand if it's possible to temporarily renew a rental lease online (e.g: for 3 months), as I am looking to move to another apartment when I return to HK.

Thanks in advance.
    If you can renew, and you don't mind a house sitter for that time I may be able to assist. My son is Hong Kong with his Fiancee. He has just started a brand new job as a pilot with Cathay Pacific. He is now waiting to hear, what will happen. He does'nt want to sign a lease pending the outcome.
    Where is your apartment located?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoadAhead:
    Your landlord will probably be happy to extend your lease month to month at current rate given COVID and protests situation.

If I were you I would break the lease and pay someone to get rid of your furniture or store it in the meantime ... nobody knows how long it will take before you can get back to Hong Kong ...
    Just curious, what happens to the tenancy agreement in that case - is it written into it? I might need to ask my landlord to do this soon.

Yes I am not sure. You would have to speak to your landlord. Where is your home located and what is the monthly cost?